Friday, December 31, 2010

The Year That Was

When I think back on 2010, I can really categorize everything that happened into three categories: Loss, Gain, and WOW. So I'll do just that.

Things I Lost This Year

Not all losses are bad, really, and this year proves just that. I lost 40 pounds in 2010--in addition to 20 pounds dropped in 2009, and the effect on my health and energy has been amazing. I lost a friend this year, and it hurt at first, but now I realize just how freeing that loss was. How toxic she'd become in the last couple of years, because of her own hurts and insecurities.

And I lost my job. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fun. I did not gain a job to replace this one, and I've had to learn the realities of living on a tight budget. I wouldn't change anything that's happened, though--it's only made me stronger, more of a survivor. And losing the boss from hell did wonders for my outlook on life. I'm a good teacher. I will come back from this.

Things I Gained This Year

So many awesome new friends...Maayan in New York, Lindsay in Michigan, Sarah in England, Amanda in Holland, Annie in New York. These ladies have helped me stay calm. They make me laugh. They share my love of Keane, Mt. Desolation and Mumford and Sons. It doesn't matter that I haven't (yet) met any of them, apart from Annie, in person. We will, we will.

I celebrated ten years of friendship with Summer, who keeps me sane and humors me in my Keane obsession.

I gained some terrific life experiences this year. I climbed my first mountain. That helped me gain some much-needed confidence. I fostered four beautiful kittens and watched them find homes (still waiting on Lucy, but at least I know she's in a good place). I gained a ton of perspective, being on unemployment. I know now that I don't need fancy clothes and a lot of stuff--the basics are fine and I'm happier not chasing the "must have bigger-faster-better-MORE" mentality that a lot of folks seem to follow.

Moments That Made Me Say, "WOW."

This blog is based on my adventures--big and small, Wild and Absolutely True. I've had so many "WOW" moments this year. For some of you, this is old news. Bear with me.

I found the perfect t-shirt in July.

I met Tim from Keane. Later in the year, I made sure that he got his very own lucky rubber duckie.

I met Richard from Keane, and he said, "I like your shirt." Which was kind of the whole point of the shirt.

I got to see Keane live for the second time.

I met Ben from Mumford and Sons.

I met Jesse from Keane. (Now, if I ever meet Tom, I'll have the whole set!)

I saw Mt. Desolation in concert.

I saw Mumford and Sons in concert.

Three words: Size 8 jeans.

Not bad, really. I'd say that 2010 was pretty damned awesome.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

2010 has been such an amazing year, and you helped make it that way! We've had so many laughs together, and I know we'll have many more in 2011.

Great big new year hugs from England.

xxx