Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wild and Wonderful Wednesday, Part 2: Mr. Swimmy's Tale

Editor's Note: I thought it best to let Mr. Swimmy introduce himself.

Hi, friends! My name is Mr. Swimmy. I'm a duck--specifically, a rubber ducky. I am the creation of my assistant, Meg.

See, it all started in September. Meg was posting in the very fun captions thread at Keane's official fan forum and came up with this:


She's still not sure what inspired her to insinuate that Keane's keyboardist has a lucky rubber ducky named Mr. Swimmy, but the caption got a lot of laughs and people took the joke and ran with it.

To make a long story short, Meg found herself schlepping me around (the ducky you see in her pictures--that is, me--has lived in her bathroom as a quiet decoration for several years now) for laughs...and planning to buy a new rubber ducky--one that hadn't been sitting on a shelf above her toilet for a long time--to give to Mr. Keyboardist if she got the chance.

The keyboardist played a gig in San Francisco last night with his side project, Mt. Desolation. So Meg took me and the gift ducky to San Francisco, and all kinds of fun ensued.

Sadly, we did not meet Mr. Keyboardist, but Meg's friend Annie has taken the gift ducky and Meg's letter of explanation back to New York, where she will see Mt. Desolation in another week.

Despite our lack of success in making sure that Mr. Keyboardist actually has a lucky rubber ducky of his very own, we had a grand day, and I'm so glad Meg invited me along. Here are some pictures.

Waiting in line to pay to cross the Bay Bridge. My assistant loves her iPod Nano.

We saw this abandoned license plate.

My assistant has a fondess for funny signs and snapped this while at a red light.

Pier 39 is so colorful.

I love San Francisco!

My assistant was very glad to see some great new signs in Pier 39.


Got any duck food?

My assistant was taking a picture of me with this old submarine when the seagull game in for a landing. Meg was worried that it would try to eat me or knock me into the water, but he just wanted to chat. I love chatting with the locals.

Meg and I before the gig.

After the gig, Meg, Annie and I stopped for some Jack In The Box. We were so hungry! I didn't even mind eating egg rolls instead of duck food.

Today I'm still sleepy but very happy to have had such a great day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ONE WORD: Hilarious. ;)

Meg said...

Now that I'm in my 30s, I refuse to be embarassed by my childish antics with rubber duckies.

HubbleSpacePaws said...

Ahhhh, so this is where I dropped off the face of the earth!

I am so glad you embrace that inner child... I loved Mr. Swimmy's photo essay and the story behind him!