Wednesday, July 21, 2010

WOW

So a year ago, I saw Keane for the first time, not really knowing much about them. I was, as you all know, blown away.

Blown. Away.

Over the last year, I've come to own most of their music on iTunes, the deluxe edition of their first album, a scarf with lyrics to one of their songs on it, and a couple of DVDs.

In that year, I've read articles, watched interviews, and made a point of "getting to know" the Keane boys. I follow Richard's Twitter, and I keep up with their official web page. When they announced this summer US tour, with a stop in Oakland, well, you know how excited I was. It was just what I needed in a very difficult time.

I knew that I would enjoy the concert...but damn, I'm blown away by just how amazing it was.

From their dramatic entrance to the last chord of the evening, Keane reminded me, every second, why I love them and their music. I can't even begin to tell you what an amazing singer Tom is, how wonderful a songwriter/keyboardist Tim is, and how much I love Richard's big grin as he plays the drums. Jesse, the unofficial fourth member of the group, rocks out up there like he's been with them since the beginning. Their energy is amazing, and the audience fed off it. By the end of the night, we couldn't contain our screams, and Tom just stood there, grinning and gaping at us, silently thanking us for the support.

I have so many pictures. I'm just going to upload them and let them speak for themselves with a few comments thrown in here and there. My camera doesn't take the best night shots, but it got some good ones here and there.

Later, I'll post about AFTER the concert, which was even better. : )

Before the show...
Summer and I, patiently waiting for Keane to come on.
When the crew took down a big black cover to show this, the whole crowd started cheering.

I took a video of their entrance. Pardon the screaming (I screamed in head voice, so it was totally healthy!!), and the shaking. When the camera is shaking, I was jumping up and down like a little kid.


Tom (lead vocals, guitar)
Richard (drums, obviously)
Tim (keyboards and the primary songwriter)
Jesse (unnofficial fourth member, bass, percussion, keyboards, marching bass drum...)
Look at that grin!
A cool shot, even with someone's hands in it.
A better shot of JQ.
Tim took lead vocals for "Your Love."
Richard does this a lot. : )
Tom's shadow
Richard looks a little demonic here...
Nice to see him out from behind his set.
JQ is working very hard. : P
The Night Train backdrop.
"Wrap your arms arooouuunnnd meeeee" from "Perfect Symmetry"
Tom leads the audience in Keane's biggest hit (and my personal favorite), "Somewhere Only We Know."
Where's Richard?!
There he is!
"This Is the Last Time"


2 comments:

Maayani! said...

Excellent!! (Couldn't resist the 'witty comments' note)... Great job Megan and so glad you enjoyed it!!
xox from Maayan(i) :)

Unknown said...

Hi,

I was curious, did security say anything when you brought your camer a in? I'm going to a show here next month, and wasn't sure what the venues camera policy was. (I'm sure it depends on the artist)