Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wild and Wonderful Wednesday, Part 3: The Queue

Annie and I arrived at the Warfield at about 2:30 in the afternoon. To get good spots, you've got to be up front in the queue, so we got there early.

Annie has gone to various Keane gigs with Anna and Charlotte, two Brit ladies who are currently visiting the US to see Mt. Desolation and Mumford and Sons. They got there before us, so Annie and I were numbers three and four in line.

The long afternoon stretched into evening, and we took turns holding places so we could eat, use the bathroom, etc. At one point, I took a 10-15 minute wander down Market Street and to a couple of nearby side streets, taking some really cool pictures. San Francisco is a city full of great architecture and fantastic street art. Every time I visit, I find something new. I suspect I'll never see it all.

Early in our wait, I looked up and saw a familiar face--it turns out it was Ben, the keyboardist, accordionist, back-up vocalist and sometimes-drummer of Mumford and Sons. He's a twenty-something British bloke, absolutely adorable. He smiled and waved at us as he walked to the corner of the side street where the tour busses were parked.

Later on, around four or five, I was standing while the other three ladies sat (every time I sat down, my feet fell asleep). More people had joined the queue at this point. Suddenly off to my side I hear, "Hello, ladies." I look up and it's OH MY GOD JESSE FROM KEANE!!! He was standing right next to me--he had recognized Anna, Charlotte and Annie from the many gigs they've been to and had stopped to say hello. He greeted each, got to me and stopped. "I don't know you."

I made some inane comment about being new to the magic of Keane and "Mt. Dessy."

Annie introduced me and Jesse said, "Nice to meet you." Then he and his friend/crew member he was with set off for "a wander" while I stood there and quietly squealed to the other ladies, "Ohmahgah I justmetJessefromKeane!!! I sent off rapid fire texts to Summer, Maayan and Twitter. A few minutes later I called Maayan at home and squealed some more.

An hour or so later, he walked by us again on his way back to the bus. I smiled and waved and he did the same back but didn't stop. By this time the line was much longer and we'd been moved from in front of the doors to a different part of the sidewalk, right in front of a "gentleman's club" where we could see women in tiny outfits and thongs parading around with their backs to the doors.

As seven o'clock grew closer, our anticipation grew. We befriended two big, burly security guys for the venue, Dennis and Cap (who would later confide in Annie and I between sets that his name is Calpernius, but he doesn't tell his colleagues). We joked with them until finally, finally, the doors were opened and we were allowed in.

We got front-row spots, right where we wanted to be...and the next post will be all about the first part of the show...Mt. Desolation. For now, some pics!

True and embarrassing story: I was so excited to see the damn tour buses, I turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. Eek! Fortunately, no catastrophes.

A cool sign across from the buses.

Mumford and Sons

Sold Out--only the cool kids are getting in!


Annie and I wandered off in search of a loo and some lunch. I took a few pics.



Lunch--a chili cheese dog. I ate HORRIBLY yesterday and I feel no shame.

During my solo wander, I found some great murals.




This great building was in three parts.



I love the tiered windows!

Mr. Swimmy and I, getting very excited.

The Warfield

This is a terrible picture of me (the flash on my camera is intense), but oh well.

2 comments:

Maayan Schneider said...

Awesomeness. I vaguely recall that I did not answer the phone with "Hello,", as a normal human might, but with "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEG OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!" ha ha.

Meg said...

I totally wasn't expecting a "hello." LOL

Also, if the caller ID came up with "Frank Cooper" it's because I'm still on Dad's cell phone plan! LOL It's a long story, but basically, it's cheaper to just stay on his plan than get my own.