Thursday, March 14, 2013

2013 Book Review #4: The Sugar Queen

A few months ago, I spontaneously purchased The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen, and I was enchanted. Allen's witty writing and engaging characters had me hooked, as did her penchant for adding "everyday magic" to her stories. I eagerly added everything she's written to my wish list, and recently started reading The Sugar Queen.

The Sugar Queen tells the story of 27-year-old Josey, a woman who punishes herself for a bratty childhood by living with her elderly mother in the role of a servant, one who never complains. Her one source of joy is the delivery of the mail each day, for she has a hopeless crush on the mailman, Adam. Her safe world comes crumbling down one day, on the discovery of a local waitress, Della Lee Baker, in her closet--the same closet where she hides a vast cache of junk food and romance novels from her disapproving mother. As Della Lee encourages her to come out of her protective shell, Josey's world changes--for the better. She befriends a local sandwich shop owner, Chloe, and involves herself in the world more, even facing up to Adam and finding her way in matters of love.

I admit, I did not start off loving this book as I did The Girl Who Chased the Moon. I realize now that this is because of my own history and biases--I, too, used to hide in endless sweets and romances, so the Josey I was presented with early in the book was not someone I really wanted to know. She reminded me, too painfully, of how I used to deal with the world--with retreat, hiding and shame. However, as she came out of herself, began participating more in the world around her, I related to that journey, and I began to like her more. Funny, how a character in a book can provoke such a strong reaction simply by being similar to the reader.

As the book progressed, I had a harder time putting it down. Addison uses little touches of magic to add charm to the story. Books that follow a woman around, giving advice. Coffee pots that spontaneously boil when passion is found between two people...little touches that make the book not just another quirky romance, but a story with depth and feeling. I very much enjoyed it.

I have another Allen book in my large stack of waiting books (much like one of the characters in this one, I seem to have books choose me, rather than the other way around), which I will read soon.

No comments: