Monday, March 11, 2013

Weekend? What's That?

Since I've started teaching private lessons on Saturdays, my weekend has dwindled down to one day. I don't mind this, as the only pressing things on my schedule for Mondays is a trip to the gym and choir rehearsal, which gives me some time to relax and catch up around the house. But this weekend, I didn't really get a weekend, and when you factor in Daylight Savings, you've got one very tired little Meg today.

It was a good weekend, but a difficult weekend, too. Friday night found me relaxing at home after another busy day at Petite School. My days there fly by, and I barely sit down. I love every minute of it, but I do arrive home absolutely exhausted. This week, I actually stopped at the gym on the way home, to ride the cycle (My friend Matt agreed with me when I told him, "I deserve a medal for being here on a Friday!").

Saturday, I had to cancel most of my lessons so I could attend the final rehearsal for our choir concert. This rehearsal had a definite grey cloud hanging over it, as we spent some time talking about Carol, the soprano who passed away last week. Turns out the total time between her diagnosis and her death was eleven days. Don choked up speaking about her, and we all had tears in our eyes. One lady had brought pink ribbon and safety pins, so we all wore those and asked Don if we could wear them in Sunday's concert. He was happy to let us.

After rehearsal, I drove like a madwoman back to Rocklin to teach two lessons (she works hard for her money). By the time I got home, I was absolutely beat, but though I wanted to relax at home, a case of the blahs sent me out to the mall that night...where I bought exactly nothing. Funny thing about my long unemployment--I learned that I really don't need stuff. Though I would like a new purse to replace the crumbling one I have. I just didn't find anything I loved enough to justify spending the money. I ended up at Barnes and Noble, where I bought yet another book for my studying to become a personal trainer.

Sunday morning, I was able to sleep in a little, but that hardly counts, with the time change. I went for a short run, then came home to shower and get ready. By 1:30 I was on the road to Sacramento, and I had just enough time to get a scone at Starbuck's before our 2:15 call time. I helped haul the risers up to the stage (in a choir dress, because why not?).

The concert was a huge success--if not sold out then very nearly so, and we sang in honor of our friend Carol, proudly wearing pink ribbons on our dresses and tuxes. A friend from Stockton Chorale had come to see us, and he took me out for a drink afterwards. I ended up spending a good two-and-a-half hours catching up with Phil, and it was great! Music has brought so many great people to my life.

My intention to get up at 5:30 this morning was thwarted by the crazy time change blues, but I managed to get a good workout in this morning and I've had a super-productive day. Tonight, it's back to choir. We let no moss grow; we'll be starting our new music for the May concert. I'm excited to learn Ralph Vaughn Williams' "Dona Nobis Pacem," as I understand it is a beautiful piece.

As for this coming Sunday...I have no plans other than to sleep in, go for a long run, and then sit on my butt drinking tea all day!

I'll close with a few pics from our official Sac Choral photographer, Ronnie Johnson.

Impressive Choir is impressive.

I think we were humming here.
"Ooohhhh...say can we finish up? This marble floor is killing my back!"

No comments: