Sunday, December 30, 2012

Intentions 2013

I did really well with my intentions for 2012, so I'm setting more for 2013. Like last year, I'll post them on the wall near my desk, where I can see them every day and be reminded of all the great things I want to do.

Intentions are not resolutions, and they're not really specific goals (though a couple of mine are). Instead of setting huge goals I have to accomplish, I like setting an intention to work at something a little bit every day, starting with my attitude.

1. Focus on forgiveness and non-judgement.

I'm pretty even-keeled, but I've noticed in the last few months that I'm letting a few people who have hurt me in the past still color my world view a little. And I get angry. So this year, I'm going to focus on forgiving these people--most notably a former boss and a former friend--so that I can move on with making positive things happen in my life and career.

I also want to focus on judging people less. It's something I've started working on--I've noticed I sometimes have a knee-jerk reaction when I see someone wearing clothing I consider unflattering, or a hairstyle I find odd. I think to myself, "Ugh, why?" or "Well, hell, I look better than, that..." I really want to work on eliminating those thoughts. Everyone has a style, and likes and dislikes, and I love how our differences are what make us special. Besides, while I'm wondering why that lady over there wants two-toned hair, she's probably staring at my all-natural mousy brown wondering why I don't spice things up a little.


2. Continue to progress as a runner, building speed and endurance.

This is where I set a couple of concrete goals, but they're completely doable. The first is a sub-30-minute 5K. I'm within a minute-and-a-half of this, so I know by the end of 2013, I can make it happen. The other goal is to run a 10K race by year's end. I can run 4-5 miles without stopping, if I have someone running with me. On my own, I get bored and go home after two-and-a-half or three miles.

I'd also love to see a sub-8-minute mile, if possible, but that's secondary to the first two goals.

P.S. I've set my triathlon goal to the side for now--I simply cannot afford a bike and all the associated gear just yet.


3. Open up new career options.

Not just in teaching, but in a new area. I want to get certified as a personal trainer, which would open up more opportunities for me, and help me also learn more about helping myself as well as other people. It could be that I find myself teaching part-time, training part-time, and honestly, I think I'd like it. Best of both worlds, getting paid to do two things I really love--music and fitness.

4. Be more social!!

I admit, with limited income and living a little bit on the outer edges of the massive Sacramento/Roseville urban area, I find it a bit too easy to stay home and not go out too often. Massive rain keeps me huddled inside. I love my parents and our home, but I also love my friends and going out from time to time. So it's time to make some things happen.

With that in mind, I'm starting a sort of Dinner Club for local friends. I'm thinking we could meet once a month, trying a new restaurant each time, and different types of cuisine. So far I've got a high school friend, Meghan, and a college friend, Sarah on board with the idea, and the whole point is for them to invite people I may not know, and to make the group diverse and interesting. 

I also want to host a "formal" tea some time this spring. Mom has already said I can use her stuff, and goodness knows, I love a tea party.


5. Read 25 books. Blog about each one.

Okay, another specific goal. My reading has slacked in the last year or so--most of my prime reading time is at night, just before bed, and these days, I fall into bed exhausted from all of my working out, or I drag my iPhone with me and play endless Angry Birds. That's changing this year. I am a fast reader when a book is holding my interest--it's easy enough for me to finish a light novel or a pithy romance in two or three days.

So this year, I want to read at least twenty-five books (two a month is beyond doable). To prove that I've read them, I'll review them on my blog. I've even made a document to hang on my wall to keep track.

6. Continue the path I've chosen towards health, fitness and strength.

This means continuing to make healthy choices--not just in eating and working out but in the little things, like flossing daily (believe it or not, it's only in the last couple of years that I've made a concerted effort to floss daily), and wearing sunscreen religiously. I want to bench-press more than just the 45-pound bar, get rid of some of the tummy flab I still have, and continue to tone and strengthen my body, while still maintaining the "shapely" silhouette I'm so proud of.

I also want to eliminate certain things from my overall diet: all fast food restaurants (though I'll keep Subway as an option in emergencies, and protein plates from Starbuck's don't count as fast food, so I can have those, too), and all soda. I've managed to kick my Dr. Pepper habit to the curb, and the few times I had it this year, it was just something to drink--not particularly satisfying. I'm better off sticking to water and tea. I am also looking to do 95% of my cooking and food prep from scratch, eliminating overly processed crap. I've done a really good job with this in the last couple of years, but now I want to finish it off and be better at putting good stuff in my body.

This does not mean a life without dessert. I won't give up chocolate! I've gotten really good at moderating how much I eat (December holiday season notwithstanding) and feel that as long as I'm within my calories for the day, and getting regular physical activity, I can enjoy some chocolate every couple of days.


So there you go. These are my intentions for 2013...what are yours?

No comments: