Friday, December 28, 2012

Intentions 2012 -- How Did I Do?

Last year, instead of making New Year's Resolutions, I set intentions for 2012. I typed them up in a fancy font, printed them, mounted them on cute paper, and stuck them up on the wall near my desk.

So, how did I do? Let's have a look...

1. Continue to focus on good health and fitness habits.

Well, obviously, I did pretty well. I lost about 40 pounds, hit goal weight, and established some great habits as far as eating and working out go. I've learned how to make up workouts for myself, and these days, I don't even bug Mr. Reasonable to approve them, and I can adjust them as necessary when I figure out something is far too easy or still a bit too hard. So yes, I'd say I did very well with this intention.

2. Continue to grow as a runner.

Hands-down, this one is a winner.

I've completed four 5K races this year, taking my time down from 37:03 in the first to 31:37 in the most recent. I am staring down a sub-30-minute 5K, and that's the next goal on my list.

I've joined a running club, and I finally broke through that wall, where I don't actively loathe running. It doesn't always go my way out there, but it's a lot better than it was a year ago.

3. Find a new beginning in my career.

Yes!! Okay, I'm not working full-time yet. But I was hired to two different teaching positions this year--one temporary, one part-time. It's a definite start and one in which I hope to find opportunities to grow. Both jobs look great on my resume and open me up to making new connections.

So yes, I found a new beginning--perhaps not what I had hoped for (full-time with benefits), but definitely a step in the right direction. And there are options and plans in the works for 2013...

4. Pursue friendships, both old and new.

Yes, I've done this. I haven't spent nearly as much time with people like Meghan, Summer, and Chris as I'd like, but I did see all of them this year. I've kept up with my Duck Ladies and even grown closer to my Sassy friends, Shae, Shay and Nicki. I've done pretty well at keeping in touch via email, snail mail and Facebook with friends around the world that I care about and want to keep in contact with. As for new friends, I've met some great people through work, choir, and other activities, and I'm doing what I can to nurture those new relationships.

5. Eliminate the burden of debt.

This was my weakest showing--I've certainly done well in paying down some of my bills, but not as much as I wanted to. The good news is I no longer owe on the massive hospital bill I got in 2010, when bronchitis sent me, breathing with great difficulty, to the emergency room.

6. Believe in myself more. I am worthy of being hired, of being liked, and of being happy.

I did pretty well with this. Certainly some of my accomplishments--goal weight, two jobs, new piano students, and some new fledgling friendships, are proof of this. I'm very proud of my new-found confidence in getting out and flirting more, and slowly but surely, I'm realizing that people might actually want to meet me.
This one is a life-long process--not something you achieve in a year but rather something you work on every year, every month, every day. Still, I've come a long way this year, and have built my confidence in a lot of ways. I sometimes get scared that in a massive bout of failure I'll gain all the weight I've lost back...but then I remind myself that I'm stronger than that.


Not a bad year!

I really did some great things this year. There are areas I still want to work on, but I'm confident that 2013 will bring opportunities for more growth and awesomeness. 

No comments: