Tuesday, January 01, 2013

First Run

This morning, I laced up my Mizunos and headed out for my first run of 2013.

I wasn't entirely sure how it would go, but I was determined to do my best. My running has been lax in the last couple of weeks--a combination of busyness, holiday indulgence and last week, deliberately giving myself a break (all runners need to do this sometimes).

So I set out this morning, into a very chilly New Year's Day morning, and did my usual warm-up walk (about eight-tenths of a mile). When I reached the starting point for my run, I picked up the pace, starting slowly, listening to my body for signs of resistance. Aside from the normal creaks and groans, all was quiet.

I settled into a good pace--not too fast, but certainly not a slow jog--and started thinking about how far to run today. An easy mile? Two miles? In the end, I decided to let my body tell me.

It was very cold--I had a scarf around my neck and fingerless gloves with pull-over mitten covers on my hands. My leggings and tech shirt don't keep the wind entirely out, but at least as my body warms with the running, they keep me protected from the cold air.

My mind wanders everywhere when I run. A wild combination of daydreams, lesson plan ideas, recent conversations, ideas for my blog, and everything else swirl around. Sometimes I settle on one topic to think about, but more often, my brain leaps from one thing to the next, then back, then forward again. I don't find it distracting, and actually, it helps keep boredom at bay. I get some of my best ideas when I'm running, and I find myself able to solve the nagging little problems in my head.

And sometimes, I so completely lose myself in the rhythm of running that I find myself simply feeling my body move and enjoying the sensation of having power. Today, it occurred to me that I am so very fortunate to be able to run. A smile spread across my face and wouldn't leave...a far cry from the reluctant runner of a year ago, who ran because she simply wanted to lose weight.

I ended up putting in two-and-a-half miles, and walking the mile-and-a-half home feeling fantastic. Post-run endorphins are a fantastic thing. No other activity--weight lifting, cross training, cycling, swimming--gives me quite the same rush as running outside on a crisp, sunny winter day.

It's a wonderful way to start a new year.

No comments: