Monday, June 15, 2009

Caution, With a Slightly Higher Dose of Optimism

I went by the offices of the Stockton Teacher's Association today. I had a list of questions and was feeling the need for an update on my status. Here's what I got:

1. What's going on with the court hearings?

It seems the judge has recommended that all employees who got a pink slip in March remain pink-slipped. This is good news for me, because if she had decided that the district could redo the whole process, my butt would be first to go.

2. How much notice would I get if I get a pink slip in August?

The union prez simply didn't know--we've never come to this point before.

HOWEVER. She followed this up with two heartening statements:

a. Human Resources has told her that they do not "anticipate" having the need to give August pink slips.

b. If they do decide to do a second round of lay-offs, they MIGHT have missed a crucial deadline date this month, and will not be able to lay people off in August anyway...which means Yours Truly remains un-pink-slipped and, more importantly, EMPLOYED.

3. How is it looking as far as reassignment?

I could definitely be reassigned. So no surprise if I end up teaching first grade or something.

The bottom line: They can have me teaching 8th grade language arts. I don't care. I'll be EMPLOYED.

(Notice that the key word here is "EMPLOYED?")



So things are looking a bit more optimistic for me. I'm not out of the woods yet, but the closer we get to school starting, the more likely it is that I will have a job this next year.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

3 comments:

alana said...

That sounds like great news. I've been looking for a new job forever, but I'm lazy and picky (not the greatest job-hunting combination).

See! Now I am following officially. lol

Miz Minka said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Meg said...

Welcome, Alana! I see you are in SLC. I have been there many, many times.

Minka--I'd LOVE another year in Chorale! Even wearing the polyester body bags, and dealing with the Costume Dragon!