Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas on Anti-Depressants

I love this!! I really do!

A year ago, I was a bloomin' wreck. I was smack dab in the middle of a certain political/racial battle at school because my then-boss was, well, that's better left unsaid in a public forum. I was facing my first concert at the new job and it was stressful as all get-out. To top it all off, carol gigs were all around, and I, Little Miss Control Freak, felt completely out of control.

It was awful.

This year, due to a combination of 1) experience and 2) medication, I'm in such a nice place. Yes, it's hectic, crazy, and a little bit stressful, but I'm handling the carol gigs and our upcoming holiday concert (Dec. 20 at 7:00 pm, if any of my buds are interested in coming...) with a certain aplomb that surprises me.

Of course, I've had my moments of wanting to scream, but overall, I'm so...freakin' cheerful. Amazing.

After all, Christmastime has always been one of my absolute favorite times of year. It goes beyond presents and Santa and the miles of Snoopy Christmas ornaments I have. It's about the short, cold days, the smell of pine and wood smoke, people giving to charity. There's something so wonderful about decorating my apartment (Snoopy's Christmas Wonderland) and listening to the "Holiday" list on my iTunes. I'm even excited to write my Christmas cards.

So here I sit, three feet away from a half-decorated tree, with a tableful of Snoopy and England ornaments on the table behind me, waiting to be lovingly hung. I've already bought and wrapped two presents (gotta love Internet shopping!)--one each for Mom and Dad. Even Millie is getting in the spirit--I tied a red bow to her "sweet spot" lamp so she can share in the joy with me. After all, we're approaching our 8th anniversary next week, and she was, hands down, the best Christmas present I've ever received.

I've even installed a timer for my outdoor Christmas lights, so that not an evening will go by this month without me spreading my holiday cheer to the entire apartment complex.

Bah Humbug? Not me!

Bring on the holiday parties, the endless Christmas songs, and all the cookies I can eat. Give me twinkle lights and hot chocolate with whipped cream. Give me random acts of kindness from strangers and toys for every needy child. It's Christmas, I'm happy again, and life is good.

No comments: