Saturday, June 10, 2006

California, Here I Come

A short list of songs I've had stuck in my head of late. They're about California, and places within.

"Going Back To Cali"
Notorious B.I.G.

The only words I remembered from this song were the chorus:

I'm going going, back back to Cali Cali


It's probably a good thing--I just looked up the lyrics and they are quite nasty. But still, the chorus anyway, is quite appropriate.

California Girls
The Beach Boys

You wish they all could be California Girls. And that is what I am. I've never quite left that aggressive-driving, tofu-farting, soy bean-eating girl behind, even with all the tea I've consumed. And even though I moan about the traffic and the fact that the Sacramento Valley is basically one big slap of concrete, well, I guess I sort of...love the Golden State.

Besides, I've got lots of California Girl friends waiting for me.

California Love
2 Pac

Right--sing with me: Californiaaaaaaa, knows how to par-tay...

Another song that glorifies the gangsta culture, which, of course, I don't really identify with. Still, the chorus is catchy.

Hotel California
The Eagles

Last thing I remember
I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back to the place I was before
Relax said the nightman
We are programed to recieve
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave


This song might just be about a trip into insanity, but I like to compare it to my own attempt to leave. I left for England and beyond...and here I am, coming back.

California Dreamin'
The Mamas and the Papas

All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I've been for a walk on a winter's day
I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A.
California dreamin' on such a winter's day


Even in the bitter cold of a snowy English February in Burnham, I never once missed the skin-melting, sweat-drenched days of July in Sacramento. Not once.

The good news? Antioch isn't as hot. : )

If You're Going to San Francisco
John Phillips

It's safe to say that any time I go to San Francisco, I will not wear flowers in my hair. One of my many adorable hats, perhaps, but hippy fashions thankfully died out with the 70s.

I Left My Heart in San Francisco
Tony Bennett

The loveliness of Paris seems somehow sadly gay
The glory that was Rome is of another day
I've been terribly alone and forgotten in Manhattan
I'm going home to my city by the Bay
I left my heart in San Francisco
High on a hill, it calls to me
To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars
The morning fog may chill the air, I don't care

My love waits there in San Francisco
Above the blue and windy sea
When I come home to you, San Francisco
Your golden sun will shine for me


Well, I actually left my heart in London (but San Fran will do in a pinch).

California, Here I Come...

C'mon, sing along!

Right back where I started froooooommmm!!

And so the California Girl returns...June 18th, in a Golden State near you.

No comments: