Sunday, May 10, 2020

Life in Isolation...More Pictures and Memes

And so here we are, ten days into May, and I still spend 98% of my time in my home. I have been getting out almost every day to walk or run, because sunshine and fresh air are good for me. When it's not too warm, I sit on my balcony, and I've been watching my garden do it's thing with a lot of delight.

I'm still teaching remotely, which is still difficult and frustrating because I can't teach the stuff I really want to teach through a computer. I'm muddling through. 

And every day, I'm documenting with pictures. Here's some highlights from the last couple of weeks. I'll start with my closet. I had designed/ordered a new closet system a couple months ago, and my original install date was pushed out due to shelter-in-place. But the second date stuck, and while the guy installed (wearing a mask), I worked in my second bedroom (also wearing a mask). We took a lot of precautions and he even disinfected both units when he finished. 


Before: A hodge-podge of shelves and drawers that I put together when I moved
in. Not terrible, but not particularly great, either.

Also before: my laundry closet left a lot to be desired. 

After: MUCH better storage. I've since added a box of stuff on
the very top shelf that I don't need regular access to. 


After: GORGEOUS! California Closets did a great job. 

My wardrobe and shoe collection is pretty simple, so I even
have extra space to put my jewelry in there.  I plan to hang
something cute on the wall in that big space.




And the rest, completely not in chronological order, but oh well.

Read this at the end of a video lesson. 
On Friday I started binge-watching all of the Marvel movies
on Disney+ because...why not? Popcorn heard Goose the Cat
hacking on the screen, and this was his reaction. 

Spring means putting away the winter coats. 

I've discovered that putting a cardigan on over my workout
gear makes me look professional for class meets online. 

Running with a mask is NOT easy, so my compromise is a
bandana, which I wear around my neck until I get near people. 

I made a whole lesson video on Loom, went back to check it,
realized Popcorn was behind me the whole time being cute.
Thankfully, no booty-cleaning.

Hooray!! I'd been lamenting to Dad that I hadn't seen any
frogs as yet this year, but then a few nights ago, I looked up
and saw this beauty. I even said, "Oh, hello!!!" out loud. 

I did a big rearranging of the garden and dusted off my canvas
chair so I can sit out there and enjoy.

This was a brief break during a massive morning game of
chase. These dudes make me laugh every day. 

As teachers assistants, however, they're kinda useless. (Archie's
back feet in this one slay me.) 

I got gas last week for the first time since March. Under normal
circumstances, I fill up once every 7-8 days, and one tank
will last all the commutes between then. One tank just lasted
six weeks. 

More adorable cat pics. I can't help it. The camera loves them.

I am so happy to live across the street from a beautiful little
community park. It's easy to social distance here, because
there are so many windy paths. 

Cinco de To-Go! I had my first take-out. I was craving tacos,
and Chipotle, while not fancy, at least helped. 

My sixth graders laugh at me (that's the point) when I bring out
"Vinny" to talk about self-portraits. 

I've had this blue table and chair set for over a decade.

It was teacher appreciation week. A few of my kids sent me
messages and e-cards. They mean more than any mug or box
of candy. The girl who sent this came to my office hours.
"Ms. Cooper, check your email! I sent you something!!" 

My colleague Yelena is having a baby any minute now, so we
had a drive-by baby shower. I experimented with my water
colors to welcome baby River. 

I've been having my art class learn about drawing faces. I
was quite pleased with how my nose drawing turned out.

My own little corner of paradise.

This was so needed. I have had days where my personal
bandwith is so small, it's hard to do anything.

This is not my picture. My friend Sarah is essential for the State of California,
and she could hear the honking and carrying on of the stay-at-home protests
from her office. This car had anti-vax posters and...a child riding on top.

You can't make this stuff up.


This one resonated with all of us teachers. 

Fortunately, I rarely need to mute people in my class meets.
They mute themselves, or police each other in the chat box.

No comments: