Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mini-Adventures For the Busy Life

If there's one thing I've been missing lately, it's been that ability to just pick a day and go off for an adventure. I'm basically working in some way six days a week now, whether it's choir stuff, household stuff, lesson planning, actual teaching, or studying to become a personal trainer. My weekly To Do List is insane, and it doesn't leave a lot of time for just hopping in Rosie Pro and going to the beach.

It also makes this poor little blog feel neglected.

On Tuesday, I drove over to Fusion for my normal line-up of lessons, only to find that the one smack-dab in the middle had called to cancel because she had a fever. So I found myself with an hour-and-a-half to kill. I decided to run a quick errand, so off it was to the local music store to look for some piano books and convince myself that I need to wait 'til my next paycheck to buy that $90 ukelele that suddenly I really think I must have to make me EVEN BETTER as a music teacher.

When I left the music store, empty-handed, I found I still had an hour of free time. I could drive back to Fusion and play on my iPhone, or I could...hey, wait.

Near Rocklin, there's a tiny town called Loomis, and I have been meaning, for ages, to get over there and take some sign pictures in it's cute little downtown main drag. It took ten minutes to get there, twenty minutes to park, walk around with my iPhone, and take pics, and then fifteen minutes to get back to Fusion.

The pictures are in my Instagram lineup for the week, so I'll share them on Saturday, but I found something very valuable yesterday--it's easy enough, in those little bits of dead time I sometimes find in a day, to make an adventure right here in my own community. There's plenty of neat little places to see in Placer County, all within an easy drive.

A lady doesn't have to travel very far to find adventure.

No comments: