Sunday, March 03, 2013

2013 Book Review #3: Insurgent

Fresh on the heels of reading Divergent by Veronica Roth, I was anxious to move on to the next book in the trilogy, Insurgent. Eager to find out what happens next for Tris and Tobias, I launched into this one, hopeful it might give more background information than its predecessor.

I was disappointed...Insurgent, while entertaining and engaging in its way, was also a rather annoying series of twists and silly dramas that didn't add to the story, or the plot of the trilogy. Always, in this series, the whole point of it all seems just out-of-reach. I can't quite figure out why I'm supposed to care that these people are fighting, because...well, it seems that they don't know why they're supposed to care.

In the end, these books seem disorganized, as though the author has no idea where she's going, and is letting the plot unfold as she types. I'll give the third book a read, because I want to see what happens, but I can't categorize these books with, say, The Hunger Games (another YA dystopian trilogy) or the incredible Harry Potter series, which is well-known for the planning and plotting that author J.K. Rowling did before ever even scribbling out most of the books.

I haven't much to say, really, but I did promise myself I'd review 25 books this year, so...here you go. ; )

No comments: