Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Numbers

Four years. Ninety pounds. Size 2 jeans.

One hundred sixty pounds on the leg press machine.

Ten Burpees in a thirty-second period.

Hundreds of accomplishments and brag-worthy moments. Countless muscle aches and blisters and times I've wanted to give up.

In the end, all that really matters--the one number that started this whole Wild and Absolutely True Odyssey, four years ago today--is three.

Three words:

"I need help."

Three words, so hard for a prideful Leo to utter. Three words I did utter, giving up part of my tightly-held control to someone else. Three words that started me on a path towards health, fitness, and believing in myself.

The number on the scale fluctuates. The number on the weights changes based on energy and fatigue. The number on the timer when I run changes with all kinds of factors.

But those three words, finally uttered, changed my whole course. I'll never be sorry I said them.

No comments: