Sunday, February 17, 2013

A Grand Little Adventure Part 3: Take the Long Way Home

My journey home was a very roundabout route. I came from Nicasio to San Rafael, to take Highway 101 to Highway 37, which went to Vallejo and Interstate 80. I took 80 to Vacaville, where I turned off onto 505 to take the back roads home...stopping in Winters, then Woodland.

Are you exhausted? Yeah, me too.

Driving towards San Rafael, one must go through the woods.


Anyway, along 37, I saw signs for a marina, so I stopped for some pictures.

Not a very well-used marina...

What more do you need in life?


Another abandoned boat.

Next to the boat, an abandoned truck.

Further down the highway, I found one of those scenic view spots and turned off for that, too.
 

That's my old friend, Mount Diablo.

Looking back towards the Coastal Range to the west as I head back
into the Sacramento Valley.




In Vacaville, I stopped at Nut Tree Plaza. I have fond memories of visiting the original Nut Tree (long closed) with my family when I was a child. Some elements of that original exist in this shopping center, but it's definitely way more commercial now.


I saw my first daffodils of 2013. My favorite flower!

Snoopy!

The barriers were down because the train was coming.

Choo-choo!

Ginormous rocking giraffe.







Normally, I just pass through Vacaville on my way home from the Bay Area. Today, I stopped, and then caught 505 northbound. I left at one point to visit Winters and its tiny historic district.





The one pic that came out blurry today--I was walking as I took it.


After this, I caught 505 to Highway 16, which took me to Woodland. In Woodland, I stopped to buy some postcards to send to my brother, and was headed down Main Street when a bunch of signs caught my eye. I parked Rosie Pro and ran down the street snapping pictures. Everything was closed except for some bars and restaurants, so the streets were empty and everything looked gorgeous in the sunset. 










What is it about abandoned buildings that are so...
oddly photogenic?


By this time, I was tired and hungry. The desire for either greasy Mexican food or really salty fries was growing, but I resolutely strapped into Rosie Pro and drove home to have a baked potato. I pulled into the garage about 10 hours after I left, exhausted, hungry, and very satisfied. It's been great going through my pictures tonight--the new camera really is fantastic.

Here's to more adventures soon!

No comments: