Saturday, December 15, 2012

Shut Up and Run

It is cold out, and far too early on a Saturday morning. I shift my legs from walking into a slow run. My knees creak a little, and my hamstrings whine. My brain dreams of all the things I could be doing, warm in my house, as I push off along a dreary college track with my running club.

I come into the first turn, slowly, gingerly. My legs protest with each step. Muscles are tight and unwilling to loosen without a fight. The cold air burns my lungs, and makes my fingers sting. "Just stop," whispers that one corner of my brain, as I round the curve in the track."It's been a few days, you're too tired for this."

I come so close to stopping, but as I finish the turn and come out on the back straight, I choose instead to keeping going.

"Shut up," I say out loud. No one is near enough to hear me. "Just shut up and do this."

My brain simmers down. My legs warm up. I get in a rhythm.

Two miles later, I stop.

Three years ago, I would have quit.

No comments: