Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Regular Thing

I thought about putting a question mark at the end of the title to this blog post, but decided against it.

Here's why:

I am not going to fall victim to the same lack of confidence that has held me back in my running for so long. M. the Reasonable today, upon hearing that yesterday saw me complete yet another thirty-minute run--no stopping, no walking--said, "Well, I guess this is a regular thing now." The devil in my brain immediately started thinking of reasons it can't be possible for me to run thirty minutes, six days a week, without massive amounts of drama. Shin splints, exhaustion, twinges in the knees, headache, hunger, and a whole list of other things that might hinder me. And then the little angel in my conscience told the devil to shut up already, this crap is getting old.

Whaddaya know, I think the angel is winning. I did my thirty minutes again today--that would be the fourth run in a row, thankyouverymuch--even though I was tired from waking up at 4:45 this morning (not on purpose), and tired from my workout with M. today, and hungry because I'm always hungry at this time of the month, and...insert all those annoying little reasons here. So many things that even a week ago would have stopped me ten minutes in. Somehow, I've found the strength in myself to shove those reasons aside and just...keep...running.

So yeah. This thirty minutes of non-stop running is going to be a regular thing. No question marks, no doubts. I'm finding that the more I do it, the less I mind doing it. As far as I'm concerned the little devil in my brain can go play in the traffic.

No comments: