Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Meeting the New Guy

I was excited to go to the gym today. I knew that Mike, the manager, would have chosen a trainer for me and I was looking forward to meeting him (all of the Master Trainers at my club are guys, and I specifically asked for and paid for a Master Trainer). When I got there, I waited for Mike to have a free second, and asked him who it would be. He picked M., your standard super-fit personal trainer jock-type. M. was with a client at that point so I waited 'til after my own workout to make a point of introducing myself.

He seems like a nice, friendly, reasonable guy. But he is a Master Trainer, so I'm hoping this demeanor drops the minute introductions are over and we start working out together. I have a feeling it will.

"I have a tendency to get very sarcastic when I feel backed into a corner," I told him today.

"Well, I have a very sarcastic personality, too, so that's fine!" he replied.

"I once told my last trainer that I hated him." I came back.

"Oh, I've heard that one more than once."

All of this was said with friendly smiles and not a hint of animosity or bad feeling. I have a feeling we're going to work well together.

As for a nickname, I will wait for our first appointment--on Thursday--to choose a moniker for him. B. the Sadist was so-named because he set unsustainable demands on my diet (no avocado or olive oil? Come on!). C. the Sweetie was, well, a lovely girl, but she let me get away with way too much. Gershom was given G. the Meanie because early in our trainer-trainee relationship, I had a tendency to get mad at him for doing things like making me run. So it remains to be seen what I call M. here at the Little Pink Blog.

I had toted along one of my before pictures today. I do love showing it off. I showed Mike the manager and M. the New Trainer and both were suitably impressed. I have work yet to do, but I have come so very far in this. I'm feeling confident and proud of my decision to go back to training.

No comments: