Friday, September 16, 2011

What If?

As I got ready for bed last night, I got to thinking about Troy Davis. It suddenly hit me that he is sitting in a cell right now, facing the very real possibility that he will be dead within a week.

As I've followed this case, the idea of Troy dying has seemed impossible--surely, I've reasoned, justice must prevail and a man who may very well be innocent cannot die at the hands of the state. But mistakes have been all too common in death penalty cases, and our justice system is not fond of admitting it may have been wrong.

So what about Troy? He's sitting there, in his cell on death row, knowing he will probably die next week, still maintaining his innocence. How must it feel to sit in a cold, cheerless cell, surrounded by guards, knowing you are so very close to being put to death? How terrifying must it be? I can't begin to imagine.

But the biggest question of all is--and always will be--what if he is innocent? How can the United States, the so-called "greatest nation"--condone killing a man when there is so much doubt? Witness have recanted. There is no DNA evidence, no murder weapon was ever found.

It's suddenly so real. Troy Davis' legal council has exhausted every legal option they have for trying to get a new trial. The only hope--the only hope--left lies with the Georgia Board of Paroles and Pardons and the hope that they will decide that there is too much doubt.

I don't pray very often. My religious beliefs can be described as "hopeful agnostic." I don't know if prayer works, but I rather hope it does. Because last night I prayed for Troy Davis. I prayed that the state won't kill him. I prayed that we have not sunk to the level of killing a man when there is so much doubt that he's even guilty of the crime for which he was sentenced to die.

No comments: