Friday, September 16, 2011

Two Voices

Heh. For starters, I had intended to post various blogs throughout the day and I didn't. I did, however, have an opportunity to take some action on behalf of Troy Davis today in Sacramento. A gal named Lisa, who I'd posted with on a Troy Davis page on Facebook, said she'd be out in front of the capitol from 2 to 5, so I hopped in Rosie Pro and drove the 30 miles to Sacramento.

For being the state capitol, I had rather hoped there would be more activity. But alas, Sacramento usually lets San Francisco be the leader in liberal activities in Northern California.

(P.S. I would have loved to go to the San Francisco or Oakland events today, but the drive--nearly two hours--just wasn't possible today. The SF event was at 11:00, which would have put me on the Bay Bridge at a time of day that just sucks. Well, every time of day sucks on the Bay Bridge. But still.)

Lisa and I met in front of the capitol building at 2:00. It's an impressive building.

The flags were at half-mast, so you can't see them in this shot.

We set up camp for about an hour, with a few tiny signs and a petition.


Finally, we thought maybe we should move to somewhere more populated. The Capitol, it turns out, is not a happenin' place on a Friday afternoon. So we moved a couple blocks over to K Street Mall, where we ended up getting a little more activity.

In the end, we only got three signatures, but I am not ashamed. All three of the people who signed our petition had not heard about Troy Davis before, and the fact that they were willing to sign after hearing us out and perusing our fact sheets means that we did some good in the fight for clemency.

Yours Truly in front of the capitol building.
Fellow signature-gatherer, Lisa.

I'm sad that Sacramento doesn't seem to be as organized, or to care as much, as some of the larger cities. But still, we did some good and I refuse to let the general lack of interest in the state capitol get me down. We have the big picture to look at, and the Troy Davis case is getting a lot of attention in many media outlets. I continue to have hope for a good outcome.

No comments: