Saturday, April 02, 2011

California Dreamin': The Marin Headlands (Part 1)

After deciding on Thursday night that Friday would be the perfect day for an ocean fix, I went to Google Maps to figure out where to go. Somehow I came across the Marine Mammal Center, and that was that.

So bright and early yesterday morning, I set off towards San Francisco, planning to cut through that lovely city to the Golden Gate Bridge, which would take me into the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, situated in the gorgeous Marin Headlands.

The drive isn't so bad, even with a spot of residual rush hour traffic here and there. The only problem I encountered was the Bay Bridge, which is always a nightmare. By the time I finally got through the line to pay my toll, I needed a loo rather desperately. I pulled off the bridge onto Treasure Island and asked for the nearest public restroom. I was pointed towards...a Porta-Potty.

Well, beggars can't be choosers, and there was no way I'd make it all the way through the city, across the bridge, and to the Marine Mammal Center without a potty break, so I held my breath and spent as little time in there as possible (thank God for hand sanitizer, right?). I still feel a little bit soiled from the whole experience.

But you're not here to read about my bathroom adventures. I'll just get to the pictures.

Of course, driving through a city like San Francisco takes a few minutes, and there were plenty of red light opportunities to take quick pictures of signs.

Ladies and gentlemen: This is driving in San Francisco!

The Great State of California, indeed.




I finally made it across the Golden Gate, which is my favorite San Francisco landmark. Oh, how I love that bridge! I pulled off into the "scenic vista" area that is popular with tourists and took some pictures and a video.


Of course Swimmy came along!







These kids just watched me stand there aiming my camera.
They stubbornly refused to move.




I just loved how carefree this kid seemed. It was a gorgeous day.

Looking east towards inland California.


The skyline and the Bay Bridge.
If you follow the arrow from your mouse from the line straight up,
that little tiny tower way off is Coit Tower.
California Girl in a Keane shirt.
I even took a short panoramic video:



After this, I got lost in Sausalito found my way to the Marine Mammal Center. It's just a few miles from the bridge, and through some absolutely gorgeous hills.

There's a five-minute red light for this one-way tunnel.


Swimmy is my co-pilot (I get bored waiting, can you tell?).
The view from the parking lot at the Marine Mammal Center--open ocean!
Next post: The Marine Mammal Center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SWIMMY!!!!!!!!! =)