Thursday, March 31, 2011

In the Eye of the Beholder

A few days ago, I sought out Gershom at the gym for some advice, and we ended up having a conversation of pretty decent length about my running and cycling. I walked away from him with my usual thoughts of, "I should NEVER talk to him again!!" followed immediately by a contrite, "Waitaminute, Meg. He cares, and he believes in you."

It got me thinking. I think there is a big difference in how I see myself, and how Gershom sees me. I still see myself, sometimes, as a big bundle of flaws, whereas he sees in me the ability to do even more--run faster, cycle harder, lift heavier, etc.

It's time I started viewing myself as Gershom does. Instead of moaning about my flabby belly or my thunder thighs (which are actually quite muscled, with not a lot of fat), or wondering if the muscle tone in my arms will ever be visible beneath the fat that still hangs down, I really should just look in the mirror and see an athlete.

No comments: