Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wild and Wonderful Wednesday, Part 4: Mt. Desolation

Okay, for the non-Keane fanatics who may read this, a quick bit of explanation...

Why, exactly, are the Keanos going to see Mt. Desolation? You may wonder.

Mt. Desolation is a fun little side project for Tim Rice-Oxley and Jesse Quin of Keane. With a few people from various other musical acts, they've created a sort of folk/rock/country album, just...because they can. Keane is commercially successful enough that the Keane guys are financially set, so a side project, complete with a mini-tour across the pond, is feasible.

At this point, it's a one-off thing. Both guys love Keane too much and figure they'll only release the one Mt. Desolation album.

Anyway, when I heard they were coming to San Francisco, I had to get a ticket.

First, here's a very poor-quality video I took of their song "State of Our Affairs" with a bonus mini-cover of "The Night They Brought Ole Dixie Down." Annie and I were right in front of Tim, which was lovely as he's very passionate while he plays--how he can throw one leg around while singing and playing his CP-70 is beyond me, and he's even more wiggly when he's with Keane.



I love what Mt. Desolation has done--their album released on Tuesday and I've got it on my iPod already--but I thought this gig was a wee bit weak at parts. They were sometimes out of tune and I have to wonder just how much of that was because so many people in the crowd were just chatting away through their set, waiting impatiently for Mumford and Sons.

That said, I still thought they were pretty awesome (I'm only saying anything because I've heard them with Keane and know they are strong, strong musicians) and I was happy to stand right under Tim, whose piercing blue eyes are very visible, even in dim lighting and ten feet away.

So, some more pics, of course. : )

Our security friend, Cap, was concerned about this pic, but I promised I only took it to get Jesse tuning his guitar.

This is Colin, TMTTS (Richard's words: "Tour Manager to the Stars" from many a photo blog). Cool that he's helping Mt. Dessy set up before their set.

Jesse pulls a classic rock-and-roll pose.

There are a lot of pics of Tim--blurry and clear. What can I say? He's photogenic.













My Keane friends will pull a big ole "Yeah, right!" but it's very, very true that I was taking a pic of Tim's front when he turned around and squatted down...ending with a shot of his backside. Whattayagonnado?

2 comments:

Maayan Schneider said...

Ahem....Yeah, right. (had to)

Meg said...

I know you had to. It's a true story, though!