Saturday, July 25, 2009

Stuff: I Haz It

A few days ago, my friend Trashy (really it's Michelle, but her nickname is Trashtastic, or Trashy) posted pictures of her bookshelves on Facebook. Our mutual friends are all bookworms. I decided I want to take pictures of MY bookcases to share.

Taking pictures of my books means also taking pictures of my Snoopy collection, as they share the bookcases. In fact, when I moved into this apartment, I bought the three short bookcases because I wanted to display my massive Snoopy collection on top. It's worked out quite nicely.



On top of the bookcases, from left to right, are the following:

Flying Ace (my favorite Snoopy persona).



Avon collectibles (in the 60s, Avon put out a line of Peanuts shampoos, shaving creams, soap dishes, etc. A couple of these are full, but most are empties I purchased on eBay).



Random Snoopy


Below the Flying Ace stuff is my Harry Potter collection (notice I have the American AND British editions!), my collection of Sunfire romances--historical romances for young adults, so no sexy-times--and my war books/biographies/history section. I like Stephen Ambrose. Oh, and Lauren Bacall's autobiography? Wonderful and heartbreaking.



Under the Avon products are my classics, some chick lit, Twilight, Bill Bryson (one of my absolute favorite authors--the man is hysterical) and some romance novels.


Under the general Snoopy stuff are the bulk of my romance novels. My tastes have been changing, and I've gotten rid of quite a few of my romances this summer. However, I will hold on to Suzanne Brockmann and Julia Quinn forever.

On the very bottom shelf are my beloved old Jude Devereaux books. I read these in high school and thought I was so adult to be reading romance novels. My tastes have changed enough that I don't read her newer stuff, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my very used old copies of Sweet Liar, The Black Lion, and The Duchess.



In another part of the room, I have a tall bookcase. This one houses Snoopy stuff on top and the first two shelves, including my Snoopy Snow Cone Machine (bought as an adult--I never had one as a kid. I know.), my collection of McDonald's glasses from the 80s (these were Aaron's but he kindly let me have them), and other various odds and ends.



The bottom three shelves are devoted to cookbooks, what is left of my CD collection (I [heart] iTunes!), my Snoopy books (most of which go back to my childhood), yearbooks, music books, and other miscellaneous stuff.


My Snoopy books:



I also have Snoopy stuff around the rest of the room. The green bag is what I use for Chorale rehearsals.






You can see why I've put a moratorium on the Snoopy shopping. This is a lot of stuff, and it does not include my holiday items and the box of plush toys in my closet. Or the few items in my classroom. Or my beloved Snoopy doll that sits on my nightstan. My Peanuts Christmas stuff alone is pretty damned impressive.

That said, my collection makes me smile. I've weeded a few things out over the last few years, mostly stuff that is not special or meaningful in some way.

And my books, well, I love my books.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are insanely organized. I am jealous.

Meg said...

Brit--I can't function in clutter! It's a failing in some ways, because my classroom always ends up messy when I've got 30 preteens in there, and I just stand there thinking, "Oh, crap. Now what?"

At home, I feel more in control of everything when it's clean. I vacuum for stress release!