Saturday, July 25, 2009

Head, Meet Desk

Repeatedly.

It constantly amazes me how the stupid partisan politics in this country--and, more specifically, this state--keep us from getting anything done.

California, my friends, is a mess. We have a $26 billion (with a "b") deficit. Keep in mind that California's state budget is larger than most national budgets. It's something like 7th or 8th in the world...last I heard, anyway.

But hey, yesterday our lawmakers signed off on a budget deal! Not bad for a group of overpaid, underworked, vacation-taking fools who can never get over their own partisan stances long enough to even look at the other side.

Okay, that's harsh. But really, from my view in the cheap seats, that's what it looks like.

So, what does this deal mean for the Golden State and all of its shiny happy people? Let's take a look, shall we?

The Good

1. Local governments will be spared from being "unwilling cash machines for the state's general fund." I'm all for communities having their own money to fix their own local economic problems.

2. There was a big ix-nay the upid-stay (nix the stupid) on a plan to drill for oil off of Santa Barbara. A win for the environment.

3. For better or for worse, it closes the deficit...for now.

"In no way should this be misconstrued as kicking the can down the road,” said the Assembly speaker, Karen Bass, in prepared remarks. “Where local government, and the communities we serve are concerned, it’s more like we’re throwing a hand grenade out of the foxhole."


The Bad

1. Three days of furloughing per month for state workers. It will save the state $1.3 million, but it is bad news for the state workers and the families they are supporting.

A friend of mine who is in the nursing profession mentioned recently that they are considering furloughing nurses. She just laughed and said, "Don't they realize we'll all just take overtime and it will end up being even more expensive?"

2. Cuts to health care, social services and the closure of several state parks. Do I really need to add to this?


The Ugly

You guessed it: education.

The K-12 education budget, which also includes community colleges, lost $6.1 billion from its roughly $58 billion base, and higher education took a $2 billion hit.


I have one word that immediately comes to mind: SHIT.

Followed by thoughts of moving to another state next year, because this is going to get worse before it gets better. I was spared getting an ass-kicking from the Pink Slip God this year...I won't be that lucky next March. I'm a music teacher--in other words, expendable.


I don't know how this is going to affect California--I'm sure there will be some good to come from it, but I know, too, that there will be some harsh times for all of us.

2 comments:

alana said...

That sucks. I had to leave San Diego when I had my son cause it was just too dang expensive.

Salt lake City's not too bad. lol

Meg said...

I have family in SLC. I hate being land-locked, though!

There's always Washington. I have a credential there.