Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Matter of Trust

This is the letter I'm giving my kids tomorrow in 6th period, followed by a lengthy assignment from Character Counts (which we use at our school).

Dear students,

On Thursday, all trust I had in this class was violated by the theft of my iPod. I know that it was someone in this class who took it, as the iPod was in its dock in this room when I left and locked the door for lunch.

It is so very disappointing that one of my students would steal such a valuable item from me, and that others, who might have seen something or heard something, would not be honest with me, or with another teacher, if there is information you know.

It’s not about the iPod. Immediately after school I went to Best Buy and bought a new Nano, because I can afford to do so. It is about trust and character. I honestly believe that every student in this room has good character—but sometimes, we make bad choices. One person in this room made the choice to steal from me. The rest of you didn’t, and don’t deserve punishment or the indignity of a backpack search. However, you will find that life isn’t always fair, and sometimes all have to pay a price for the actions of one person.

Today, you will be required to finish a Character Counts assignment. You will stay seated in the seat I assigned you. You will not talk. You will have no need to get out of your chair. If you need a pencil sharpened, or anything else, you will raise your hand and wait patiently for me to assist you. My original plan for today and Tuesday was to allow you to watch a movie and draw. That will not be happening now.

If you finish this assignment before the end of the class period, you will remain seated at your desk, quietly.

Ms. C

1 comment:

Dani said...

AHAHAHAHA. Ohhh, revenge is best served sweet, silent and coldly. Brilliant, Meg. Maybe you'll be able to silently shame someone into admitting it.