Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mardi Gras

A few weeks ago, I posted pictures of my Chinese New Year bulletin board, and the various projects my kids were working on. Chinese New Year is finished, and now it is time to move on. After a brief tour of Black History Month, Valentine's Day and President's Day, my kids are ready for the Next Big Deal: Mardi Gras.

I've already posted pictures of the two masks I made a couple of weekends ago, but I have a couple of new pictures--I added glitter glue!



Of course, I need a canvas on which to display my Mardi Gras stuff.



I had bought some feathers and other doodads for my kids to use on their masks, but it was going to be very limited. Imagine my joy when one afternoon, the school's attendance clerk called me in my classroom and said, "Come take what you need--someone donated a bunch of craft stuff."

Yesterday, I sat down and opened all of the packages, sorting things into boxes for easier distribution when my kids make their masks next week. I really started to see just how much good stuff was in there. I have a shoebox-sized box FULL of beads!






With all of this coming up, I'm working on rewarding my kids for good behavior. After last week's mini-meltdown, I've established some reward systems:





All of this stuff is making my desk messy.


BUT--my bulletin board is coming together (I'm waiting on a garland I ordered from Oriental Trading Company), and the agenda for the day on the white board is festive.




Happy Mardi Gras!

6 comments:

Cara Davis said...

You look adorable in that mask. I want the one with the blue tulle on it! Also, I'll bet your kids will love this activity. Oriental Trading Company is awesome. My mom used to order from there for her kids (she was a daycare teacher, lead teacher for the 12 to 20 month olds).

Meg said...

Oy! Those are tiny kids! I think they'll like it. They seem to love any activity in which they get to make something their own. I'll get a lot of masks in the colors of the Mexican flag from the boys, and I'm sure the girls will be loving those flowers and sparklies. I'm going to make a St. Pattie's themed mask as soon as the masks arrive, also from OTC.

Anonymous said...

Megs, What an outstanding treasure you received with the craft goodies donation. My kind of stuff for sure! Be sure to show us the finished bulletin board with all the masks and stuff. Good job! Hugs from Mom

Meg said...

Mom! You did it! : )

Unknown said...

You are the cutest thing ever. That is all.

Dani said...

Can I come and play with you guys instead of taking college courses? Damn. That looks like a lot of fun.