Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Live and Diet

So, the sad truth is, I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I went to the doctor during break and when the nurse weighed me, I wanted to cry. I talked to my doctor about it, and she referred me to a health education doctor. Last week I had my apointment, and she gave me some good tips. In order to lose some weight, I need to stick to about 1800 calories a day. Exercise is good, too (of course).

So I'm making changes. I had to go to Safeway after my appointment, and I feel I did some smart shopping. No Dr. Pepper. Instead, I bought orange juice to drink (but only 8 ounces!) when I need something sweet. I stocked up on some of the things I've already been eating that are good--lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. I skipped the desserts.

One thing the doc pointed out was that bagels actually make a good breakfast. Breakfast is a struggle for me because I'm usually flying around trying to get ready and I need something that is quick, easy, and filling. Bagels are okay--but I should stick to whole wheat, and she even suggested I try the mini bagels, as a large bagel can sometimes be the equivilent to four pieces of bread. I bought Sara Lee's mini whole wheat bagels, and they're actually really good. They're fresh and soft, not hockey pucks.

Of course, what do you put on a bagel? Cream cheese...which can be dangerous. But I bought the low-fat, low-calorie Philadelphia cream cheese with veggies, which gives me some much-needed protein in the morning.

I honestly like vegetables and fruits, so making these changes isn't all that hard--especially because I know I need to for my health. Cutting out the bad stuff is difficult--sometimes I find myself really jonesing for a Dr. Pepper, but in the end it's worth it.

That said, I'll be returning to my dinner now, of salad and stir-fried veggies with turkey polenta sausage. Bon apetit!

No comments: