Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Well, the Bathroom's All Set Up...

And all of my clothes are where they should be. So it's a great start. Here's how my day's been:

Early Start

I was on the road by about 8:15, and made it to the apartment a little before 10:00. The drive wasn't too bad, and Millie did okay. Mostly she only cried when the sun was in her face, so I covered that part of her cage with a T-shirt I had nearby.

GAH!!

The first thing I managed to do when I opened the passenger side door of my car to get Millie out was to bang the tip of my right middle finger between the door and a metal pole. Every naughty word I know ran through my head but my mouth was paralyzed in an expression of agony and dismay. My fingernail rapidly turned purple. I managed to keep from crying, and kept all of my naughty words to myself, instead only muttering, "Oh. God. Ouch. Oh. God. That. Hurts." in front of Dad and his friend John (who had seen and heard the impact and was saying sympathetic, "ooohs" and "ahhs").

I Shall Go On

I kept going all day, though, even though my finger still freakin' hurts like the devil, and we managed to get the truck unloaded, the bed put together, the kitchen table and entertainment center put together all by 1:00, and that was with a break for lunch.

At 1:00, Dad and John climbed in the U-Haul, Mom into the Tribute, and they were off, leaving me to sit on my bed staring at the ceiling for a few minutes before dragging my tired butt up and unloading a few boxes.

That First Shower's Gonna Be Bliss

I started with the bathroom because there's not much to it, and it will be important for me to have access to deodorant, contact solution, shampoo, etc. I found my decorative bathroom stuff (packed in boxes since Washington) and that room is now completely finished, except for two wall hangings that need to go up.

Next I tackled the closet. All of my hanging clothes were in two boxes: one of winter clothing I carefully folded and packed in WA, and one of everything on hangers, hastily shoved in last night. All of these things are now hanging (organized by length of sleeves, etc.) in the closet. Now, if only I could find my shoes...

So Sad...

I moved on to my kitchen after this, and unpacked three boxes. I stuck all of my pots and pans in the dishwasher (there's a leak, but the maintenance guy's going to go out and fix it this afternoon). I unpacked countless Snoopy mugs and glasses (collector's items). Sadly, one mug and two glasses were broken. They've been in boxes for about 5 years, so it's no surprise, really, though a little sad for me. At least the glasses were duplicates in my collection, though the mug was not, and it goes back to my childhood--the collection belonged to Aaron long before it belonged to me.

NO COOKING

I have all the makings of a nice salad in my fridge, but I do not have the energy (or counter space) to clean lettuce, chop veggies, etc. So dinner is going to be from Baja Fresh (just across the road!) after I run to Target for some ice cube trays and a silverware tray, as well. But first, I had to report my leak and come to the "business center" of the apartment complex, where there is free internet access for residents. Until I have my own set up at home, this will do.

What's Next?

What's next is my errands, followed by dinner, a looooong shower, and BED. Mom made my bed up for me with just-washed sheets, so it will be lovely.

I get my cable TV set up tomorrow, my phone will be hooked up on Friday, and hopefully, my new furniture (sofa, chair and ottoman) will be here on Saturday. I'm already making great progress on unpacking, so I figure by two weeks from now, I'll be settled in and focusing on the upcoming school year.

Right, I'm Hungry

So I'm signing off.

Cheers!

Meg

No comments: