Thursday, July 07, 2005

God Bless London

This city is more important to me that many people understand. When I arrived at Heathrow in January 1999, I was terribly broken up about what had happened to me the previous semester.

Being in London healed me. I learned to get around a different country, a major city, without Mom and Dad holding my hand. I got over a stupid boy. I found direction and confidence.

So I have been fond of London since then, as anyone who's read any of this blog knows. I have been to Rome, Paris, New York City, Washington D.C. and others. None affect me as much as London.

So many places in London are significant to me. Kings Cross Station helped me to make my dream come true--it's where I left to go to Scotland.



Today, it is damaged.



Alexander Chadwick sent us this picture of passengers leaving an underground train in a tunnel near Kings Cross.

I go through Liverpool Street Station all the time. Mom and Dad have been through it, Summer has been through it. It is the major terminus when you come to London from Essex.

Today, its tube station is the scene of terrorism.

Russel Street is very near where I lived when studying in London. Today, a bus exploded there.

When compared to the casualties of September 11 2001 in New York or March 11 2004 in Madrid, it looks like London will not match in terms of numbers. But in terms of fear, sadness and grief, it is right up there.

................

I've just heard from a student that a year 7's father is in hospital. I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm definitely praying for everyone involved in this today.

I've also just had another memo from the front office. It says, "URGENT" at the top and the message says:

"Please read to your pupils.

All studenst need to ensure that they have all their personal belongings with them when they get off the buses tonight. Be vigilant with regard to packages especially on public transport and also in school. NO BAGS MUST BE LEFT BEHIND ON THE BUSES TONIGHT."

I had to read this to a group of year 7 students. They are only 11-12 years old. They keep asking me questions that I have no answers for. And that, my friends, is the hardest thing I ever have to face as a teacher--having no idea what to say to my kids to ease their fears.

What a day...I am drained from all of this.

To close, a few pictures of my beloved London:

London south of the Thames


London to the north--the water leads up to Buckingham Palace

To the east--the large blue pickle-shaped building is very near Liverpool Street Station.
The Tree of Life at the British Museum...made by African artists from dismantled weapons. Would that all weapons could be dismantled and turned into something beautiful instead of something so ugly.

Love to you all,

Megan

No comments: