Monday, April 04, 2005

Wisdom a la Elton John and Astrology

They said stay at home boy, you gotta tend the farm
Living in the city boy, is going to break your heart
But how can you stay, when your heart says no
How can you stop when your feet say go


Elton John, Honky Cat

I was listening to my Elton John Greatest Hits CD this morning while getting ready for work and these words stuck out in particular.

And today's horoscope from Astrologers.com

Your self-confidence may be a bit low and you may be doubting your abilities right now, Megan. Don't let yourself get depressed or disheartened. Your skills are top-notch. Try to look at your situation objectively and see if you can't pinpoint why you are not progressing in your career as rapidly as you'd hoped. You may be worried about money, but know that all will work out in the end.

And this, my friends, is just kind of crazy, that they'd email me this horoscope right now.

I mean, really. I'm humming the theme to the Twilight Zone right now.

I still have lots of thinking to do. I'm just glad that Spring Break is a'comin'. I teach three classes today, and tomorrow, I'll be off timetable to work with my year 11s (another story for another time). They're nice kids, so that won't be difficult. Thursday is all year 7. They're babies, but manageable. Friday is a half-day. Yay!! I have two really difficult classes followed by my lovely year 10s. Then we send them home and we'll have a faculty lunch. And probably wine.

And that will be the end of the Spring Term. Two down, one to go. Summer Term will start on 25 April. I have until the week of 30 May (half term break) to decide whether I stay (when this week my heart says "no") or whether I stop when my feet say "go".

Of course, I'm perfectly aware that while I'm mentally boarding the plane for Seattle this week, in the next term, I could have a complete change of heart and decide I simply must stay at St. Peter's. We'll see.

But I am watching a lot of people jump ship. People who have been here a long time and who have put up with a lot of stuff are scrambling like crazy to get out. Someone told me yesterday that of 8 teachers in the Design and Technology department, only 3 are coming back at this point. And one of them is coming back on reduced time because he's working on his degree.

My head of faculty, Sian, is supremely burnt out by the students, and her future is in question because with all the restructuring going on, she is not going to be a faculty head anymore.

But I can't let their decisions and feelings influence mine. I try not to, anyway. The key word being try.

At least the sun is out today. Yesterday was gross.

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: