Thursday, March 31, 2005

Bargain Bin Teachers

I will explain that term in a minute...

First, my apologies for not updating in almost 2 weeks. I've been a bit busy and stressed. I almost updated the other day but opted to go home at a decent time instead! It was brought to my attention by no less than two people yesterday that I must update, and scroll that headline about Americans being obnoxious down a bit.

Right, so what's been going on in the life of Megan as she navigates England? Well...let's see.

Bargain Bin Teachers

This is just referring to a joke Kathy made last night about how St. Peter's really got a great deal on me. They get a qualified music teacher (hard to come by in England these days) who really wanted to live in England (and wasn't picky about where) and they get to pay me very, very little. I just thought it was funny. I said to Kathy, "I was a bargain to this school!" She laughed and replied, "Bargain Bin Teacher!!" How we laughed at that one.

Again?!?

Yes, again. I am going to see National Anthems again tomorrow afternoon. I have had a rather...hectic...week and I decided on Wednesday that I need a good Saturday to make up for it. So off to London I go tomorrow. Probably to the British Museum in the morning. I haven't been there since 1999. Then I have a 1:00 "flight" on the London Eye, and at 2:30, a ticket for National Anthems. More Kevin!! Cheer a girl right up.

Bath and Easter Weekend

Last weekend being Easter weekend, we got 2 extra days off. On Good Friday I got up early and headed off to spend a lovely day in Bath. I had forgotten how beautiful it is there--a truly lovely city. And it was perfect weather. Sunny, slightly warm, flowers blooming everywhere.

I went to the Jane Austen Centre and walked around the city and had afternoon tea at the Pump Rooms next to the ancient Roman Baths. A lovely day.

Saturday I cleaned my room, did my co-op trip for the week and relaxed.

Sunday I sat on my bottom all day eating the chocolate Kathy and Derek gave me for Easter and watching DVDs. I watched American Beauty, The Usual Suspects, Top Gun, and then found a movie on TV I wanted to watch. Kathy and Derek were out all day so I took over the sofa, fed the animals at tea time, and in general made a lazy excuse of a person out of myself. It was wonderful.

Monday was laundry/cooking/get ready for the week day.

Something's Coming, Something Good

Yes. Spring Break is a'coming. Two weeks off from this crazy school and a trip to Paris with Mom and Dad. I can't wait!

One more week of bratty year 9s (they're getting worse--I'm not the only person who says so) and hyper year 7s. One more week of craziness, and then the Spring Term is OVER and DONE and I get two whole weeks to enjoy!!

Decisions, Desicions

Right, if you read my back blog entries you'll see that while my first term at St. Peter's was kind of the "honeymoon" phase. The honeymoon ended almost as soon as I stepped off the plane at Heathrow on 5 January.

This term has, in a nutshell, been difficult.

And now it is Desicion Time. Do I stay? Do I go? What do I want?

I want:

To live within an hour of London. To live within an hour of my parents. To have Millie with me. To have my own place. To have the freedom of having my car. To live somewhere where I can walk everywhere. To shop at Target whenever I like. To be able to see Kevin Spacey on stage. To have my very dear California friends nearby and to keep my budding social life in England. To be paid more.

In other words, I want the best of both worlds wrapped up in a tidy package. And I can't have that so I have to choose.

After a really stressful week that has included one long, tearful phone call to Mom and Dad (Tuesday), one day of absolute apathy towards my job (Wednesday), one night of being unable to sleep (Wednesday) for the stress, one email from Heather saying, basically "grow up and face the music" (but in a gentler way!) and one Mental Health Day (Thursday), I have come to some conclusions:

If I don't earn Qualified Teacher Status and start making more money, I will leave. I'm willing to put up with a lot--but it does get difficult when you don't make a hell of a lot of money for your trouble.

Logic. Minimal emotion. That's my approach.

And I promise, I will try to keep the Bridget Jones moments of utter panic to a complete minimum!

Thank God it is Friday

And with that...

Cheers!

Meg

No comments: