Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Bits and Pieces

I just have to give a quick shout-out to Miss J., (who will be 7 on the 14th...excuse me while I just have a little sniffle...) who is reading 66 words per minute, only mistaking the word "crayon," (and if you ask me, that's one of those words that breaks a couple of rules of English). The state standard for students at the end of first grade is 70 words per minute. Way to go, Julia! And way to go, Sarah, for encouraging her to love books.

Well, my dad has done my taxes for me. I am lucky this year, I do not owe the State of California. In fact, they're giving me $25 back! I checked an online currency converter. This amounts to a whopping £13. Hey, that's a trip to the co-op.

Am feeling much better about life in general and my job especially. A rough couple of days...but as ever, I muddle through. It helps that I have a few friends here at school I can talk to (there are a few teachers here who are relatively new to the profession, like me, and we all float along in the same boat), and it helps to have friends and family back home cheering me on. So a quick shout-out to all of you for letting me vent, cry and be a big baby from time to time. I don't think I ever quite comprehended just how much courage this whole idea ("Hey, guess what? I'm moving to England!") would take until I actually did it.

Quick Millie update: I sent a large envelope full of stuff to my parents (birthday card for Dad, Mum's day card for Mom, as English Mum's Day is in March, and a few bits and pieces). According to Dad, when they opened it, the Millikins jumped onto the counter and stuck her nose into the envelope, sniffing and sniffing like mad. Moving papers and things around with her little nose. How sweet is that? She hasn't forgotten her mommy (and her mommy hasn't forgotten her).

And that's about all here. I haven't sent out any more anonymous Valentines. : )

Cheers,

Meg

No comments: