Monday, October 11, 2004

I can just see the headlines...

...about a California Girl in Essex County, England freezing into a blue Meggie-cicle.

It is SO COLD!!!

I like cold weather, but boy, this is going to take some getting used to. And thermals!! Today we had a chilly wind coming from the East, and I walked to work in a wool coat (only to be told later in the day that when winter sets in--this is just fall--I'll need something even warmer), a scarf, gloves, and a hat. I was still cold!

Kathy and Derek laughed yesterday when I commented on the cold. They said, "Oh, this isn't cold!" much as I was laughing six weeks ago and saying, "Oh, this isn't hot!"

Yet I must say, the cold, as numbing as it is, is still better than that icky heat of Sacramento.

What a busy day! I had a lady from TeachLondon to see me at the school, a candidate for the Head of Expressive Arts teach a lesson to my one class of the day(which meant I was sitting in the staff lounge for a half hour) and lunch-time detentions. And lesson planning. Always lesson planning! Oh, and a couple of my co-teachers laughed at me at the end of the day when I announced, "Oh, crap! I have bus duty...and it's sooo cold out there!!!" : P

They couldn't resist poking good-natured fun at Little Miss California Girl as she rushed off for jacket, gloves, etc. The Abdominable Snow Woman.

I guess this really isn't very cold by Burnham standards. I have a feeling I'll be investing in thermal underwear!

All is well on this side of the pond. Busy, busy, busy. I have this week and next, and then half-term break. Yippee!!

Well, off I go to get some fun facts about Beethoven for the rest of the week. The children of St. Peter's High School will be singing "For Elise," the wonderful lyrics that some clever soul put to Beethoven's famous "Fur Elise." My middle school kids in the States loved it, hopefully their British counterparts will, too.

Cheers,

Meg, on the Rocks (Chilled)

1 comment:

Sassy Shae said...

I would invest in a lined coat if I were you... I only say that because I wish I was sharing the cold with you! lol

Tonight it was a nice fall night here in Houston... 75 degrees, 58% humidity, light breeze. WOO HOO!