Monday, June 24, 2024

The Land Down Under, Part 2: Pinch Me, I'm in Sydney!!

 After the "kerfluffle" of not having a tourist visa and missing my original flight (that's what I'm choosing to call it, a "kerfluffle"), I was overjoyed to actually set foot on Australian soil. As mentioned in my last post, I made it through their passport control with complete ease, and found a taxi that deposited me at my hotel in excellent time. The only thing left to do was to shower and sleep.

I woke Monday morning feeling refreshed and hungry. Fortunately, I had brought snacks in my suitcase and I was able to quickly eat something to sustain me while I started my day. I was eager to set out into a gorgeous sunny morning.

Monday was a public holiday for Australia, so the streets of Sydney were quiet. Google Maps told me a quick jaunt down Pitt Street (the street my hotel was on) would take me directly to the Circular Quay, so I set off to see what I could see. Suddenly, I heard a loud cackling sound. Vivid Sydney (a big month-long festival of lights) had been going on so I thought it must be some reveler of the night before...

It was a bird. From what I've been told by locals, it was likely a magpie.


Pitt Street, a mix of new buildings and some old
tucked in.



I looked up and, oh, hello Harbour Bridge!

Aboriginal designs on a construction wall.


Cassowary

In the interest of complete disclosure...I admit that I went into this trip thinking, "It's just a bridge."

It is not just a bridge.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is absolutely massive, and endlessly impressive. I can see why they are proud of it. It is up there with the Golden Gate for being iconic just for existing. Once I saw it in person, I understood.

As I approached the Circular Quay, I turned back to get some pictures of Sydney's skyline, and the morning sun making it look sparkly and gorgeous.




The Circular Quay is a small portion of the greater Sydney Harbour which is the main terminus for all ferries. Located between the bridge and Sydney's other famous icon, the Opera House. It's always a major hub of activity (except at 8:00 on a holiday morning, when I first got there). Tourists and commuters alike are swarming the area. It's surrounded by lots of restaurants and shops, and there's also a train station there. 



Along the Quay is a Writer's Walk, and I enjoyed reading many of the plaques. I noticed that most people didn't bother, which is their loss. Some of them were quite good.



I had eaten that hotel-room snack, but I was sorely in need of my morning caffeine. I found a coffee stand and bought a mocha to enjoy in the winter sunshine. 

As I walked closer to the Opera House, I looked
across the Quay to The Rocks, Sydney's historic
district.

As I walked along the Quay, I couldn't immediately see the Opera House (though I knew it was there) because of the buildings around. But soon, it came into view. 




I sat on a bench, sipping my coffee and marveling that I was actually here, in Sydney. I took a video for my friends on Facebook, and told them, "I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, because I can't quite believe this is real..."



The Opera House deserves to be walked around--it has so many different views and angles to see it from. 











You see this all over Australia, and on web pages
for everything. 



I walked back along the Quay towards The Rocks, enjoying the views and the sunshine. What an absolutely perfect morning.



The Rocks is one of the first points of settlement of the English colonizers of Australia, and home now to some of Sydney's oldest buildings, and a small, but very fine museum of the history of the area, from it's original inhabitants, to the convicts who came with the First Fleet.

As I walked along, Sarah and I were texting back and forth. She asked, "Are you able to call? I want to hear the happiness in your voice." So I called (AT&T International plan, baby), and we chatted for a few minutes. I was, indeed, happy. After the kerfluffle of getting here, I was overjoyed to find myself in Australia on a gorgeous day.




The Rocks is also home to Sticky, a candy shop I started following a while back on Facebook. They do live streams of their candy-making process, and indeed, their shop is set up so that anyone can walk up and watch them create. It's a mesmerizing process, taking molten candy, shaping it into designs, and creating small "lollies" (hard candies) in unique designs and flavors. I love the Australian charm of the people who do the live videos (owner David, his daughter, and a few employees), so I made sure to stop by.



 Making the "pillow" candies by feeding them 
through the machine that pinches them off


They always offer a wee taste when they finish
making a candy. 



I have since learned that the four flavors in this
pack are lilly-pilly, quondong, lemon myrtle, and
kakadu plum. 


The small shopping center where Sticky is located also has several souvenir shops and a wonderful shop of Aboriginal creations. And of course, there are always the silly souvenirs.


Once back outside, I found my way to The Rocks Discovery Museum, which is small, but very informative. Inside, I mentioned to the man at the front desk how impressed I am by the nods to the original people of the lands at every location, and on web sites. He smiled and said, "Yes, but we still have a long way to go."

Same in my country, sir. Same.






Very old, very creaky stairs.


After the museum, I wandered a bit more and found a place I had marked on Google Maps as a must-do: The Tea Cosy. It turned out to be everything I could possibly want. By now I was very hungry, and it was about 10:30, so I figured a large brunch would tide me over for a while. 



The Soldier

The Settlers

The Convict

There's a knitting theme, and they even offer
baskets of yarn and knitting needles to patrons
who wish to knit while sipping tea. 



Every tea pot comes out wrapped in a cozy, 
because of course.

I had two massive scones with clotted cream
and lemon curd.

Curried egg salad sandwiches

I had no set plans, so after tea, I figured walking back to the Quay to find a harbour cruise was just the thing.


Buildings have two flags--the Australia flag and
the Aboriginal flag.


Pictures while walking






A description for the next picture.









The cruise was lovely--even with a small period of time where the sky clouded over. The wind got a bit fierce for a time, too, but I just tightened my hoodie and held on for the ride.






Luna Park, a small theme park






Approaching the stop for Taronga Zoo

It got chilly 😂




Approaching Watson's Bay, out by the opening
of the harbour

The view of downtown from Watson's Bay

The opening of the harbour--that's the Tasman
Sea and wide-open ocean out there.




Approaching Manly 







Those are people. People pay to climb the bridge.
For fun.



After the cruise, I popped into a souvenir shop. I wasn't buying anything yet, because I had several days to figure out what I wanted to take home...but not gonna lie, a boxing kangaroo pen was tempting. I went back to my hotel for a brief rest, figuring later on I'd head out for a night of Vivid fun...and that will be the next post. 


My hotel, named for what is now basically a 
sewer.



History of what the Tank Stream is here

No comments: