Saturday, March 21, 2020

Gimme Shelter

Well, nothing like sheltering in place and self-isolation to get a gal blogging again.

The last couple of weeks have not exactly been easy on the ole anxiety. If you know me, you know I have this weird ability to make huge changes, like moving to England to teach, but when it comes to my day-to-day routines, loss of continuity can be very, very difficult.

I've gone two weeks now without printing a weekly To Do List. This is unheard of for me, and it has caused some angst. The first week was because I was out of town for the weekend (more on that later), and when I got back, I had a sinus infection and ended up not only not updating the list, but also spending two sick days at home--making the list moot.

When I did go back to work, I was there two days before notice came from Sacramento County that all schools were to close.

That leads us to this week, in which nothing was exactly clear until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Teachers at my school district were to be called in for three days this week (eventually cut to two, and that second day was "leave when you feel you're ready"), and that caused some anxiety as we all wondered why we needed to be there after Monday--which was a school-wide day for planning online learning.

By Tuesday morning, I was sitting in my classroom with a racing heart and no idea exactly what to do as I lead class meetings with my equally confused students. Still, it was good to see their faces--even electronically--and I noticed right away that they seemed eager to connect with teachers. It reminded me that teachers are a big part of a kids's normal routine, and when "normal" goes out the window, I'm not the only person feeling anxious about it.

So here we are--it's Saturday, and it's taken me three days to write this post. Fortunately, things are looking up. Today I'm doing a big clean of Casa Meg, and I'll spend the rest of the weekend getting my To Do List back in order for the coming week. Working from home requires more focus, so I'll be creating a fairly regimented schedule for myself. It will include time for working out, and allow for plenty of time just relaxing with a book, some Netflix, or a craft project.

I am one of the most fortunate ones. I have health care, and I'm continuing to be paid through this. Working from home as a school teacher isn't ideal, but it's doable. My admin team and my fellow teachers are hugely supportive (we're all in this together). I stocked up my freezer with chicken, ground turkey, and lots of frozen veg before all this, so I'm capable of making healthy, filling meals without needing to go to the store too often. (Later today, chicken curry with cauliflower, carrots, and a jar of korma sauce.)

Most importantly, I bought an extra box of Tetley. I mean, priori-teas, right?

So I'm set. I worry about Dad, who has a very hard time not doing stuff for himself, but seems to be mostly convinced to stay at home and let me look for paper towels for him. But overall, I'm in a very good position, so in addition to curbing my anxiety, I'm trying to look outward. So far, I've bought some gift cards from two different independent book stores, and asked them to donate the cards to students in need. It's a win-win, for struggling business, and struggling kids.

We will get through this. It's weird as hell, and sometimes the anxiety flares up, but I know we all can do this.

In the mean time, I'll be locked up at home, marveling at just how much sleep cats can accomplish in a day.

No comments: