Sunday, May 19, 2019

Pro-Life

I am pro-life.

I believe that every human should have the right to choose what is best for her health and body, and for her life.

I believe that abortion is health care, whether it is to end a pregnancy caused by birth control failure or to end a pregnancy that is causing harm to the health of the fetus or the mother.

I believe that men don't have the right to tell a woman they are not in a relationship with to have a baby, even if that baby is biologically his.

I believe that children should go to school and be reasonably assured that a madman with a gun won't breach the fences and gates and come in to kill them senselessly.

I believe that health care is a human right and no one should go into bankruptcy because of an unexpected injury or illness.

I believe that the women killed by men deserve to live.

I believe that "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind," and therefore, the death penalty, with its costly court challenges, is not a valid option. Or, especially, a deterrent to violent crime.

I believe that a child victim of rape is not physically, mentally, or emotionally prepared for pregnancy, and should be offered abortion as health care, and extensive counseling to help her process what has been done to her.

I believe that if someone chooses to carry a fetus to term and have a baby, that baby/child/pre-teen/teen deserves to have its most basic needs met, even if the family who welcomes it needs assistance in providing.

I believe that children in less-affluent areas deserve schools as good as those in more affluent communities, and a fighting chance to escape the cycle of poverty.

I believe that no one should have to go into poverty-inducing debt just to obtain a college degree for the career they are passionate about.

I believe that comprehensive sex education is a right for all, so that children can first learn what is going on in their growing/changing bodies without fear or shame, and then later learn how to protect  their bodies from sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies, and what they can do to keep their bodies functioning healthily .

I believe that the United States should not have the worst rate of maternal mortality in the developed world.

I believe that no human being should be called "illegal" or an "alien," that yes, we have undocumented immigrants and they ought to do things the legal way...but we need a safer, more effective legal way for people to come into the United States.

I believe that minimum wage, as it stands nationally, has not stayed up-to-date with cost of living and no one can actually live on a minimum wage job.



So yes. I am pro-life. And pro-choice. Because one person's ability to survive can be contingent on factors the rest of us are too privileged to even think about.

No comments: