Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tales From the School Yard -- Paper Airplanes

Friday was a rough day.

See, I love my job, and it's a really good place to be, but that doesn't mean there won't be days where I want to throw my hands in the air, scream, and run out of there. Friday happened to be one of those days. I'll live.

By the time we started our afternoon faculty meeting, I was ready to escape for my weekend...but meetings must be attended.

Fortunately, I work at a school where all meetings are started with Good Things (people share something good that is happening) and where fun activities are sometimes thrown into the mix to keep us awake and building relationships among ourselves.

On Friday, we threw paper airplanes.


Each of us made a simple airplane, and wrote two facts about ourselves on it. And then, 25 teachers ran around the room, throwing paper airplanes, picking them up off the ground, throwing again, for a bout five minutes. It was a circus, and all of us were laughing with pure exhilaration. Even teachers need to play, you know.

My facts were, as pictured:

  1. I taught in England for a year in 2004-2005
  2. I lost 90 pounds from February 2009 to September 2012.
The teacher who had my airplane guessed me on his first try--he knew I'd lived in England--but very few people knew the second fact. I got a lot of "Oh, wow!" and admiring head nods. 

But the best part was those few moments of uninhibited play time. We needed that, and I don't think we really knew that we did. I love working at a school that recognizes this, and recognizes our need for Good Things, and Affirmations. Teaching is hard work--the planning, the grading, the worrying, the wrangling. Rough days happen, and Friday morning was certainly rough for me.

It was good to get a chance to just play.

No comments: