Friday, April 18, 2014

Rest

I think I'm finally winding down from the craziness that was choir tour. I've spent the last few days being lazy (except for work outs and piano lessons). Today I stopped by my office to drop off some choir sweatshirts I picked up, but I didn't stay long.

I could be doing 101 things for school--lesson planning, planning out next year, etc. etc., but I'm only interested in relaxing right now. The next six weeks are going to be insane (and this is not me being melodramatic). I have two weeks of almost-nightly involvement in rehearsals for the Spring Musical (this in addition to my private music lessons, though a calendar quirk is allowing me to get a week off from that, thankfully). There's prepping my kids for the Spring Concert and (hopefully) singing a song at the graduation ceremony. Regular music lessons, except for that one week off. Regular workouts. My first 10K in a week, and a 5K in May.

Mid-may will find one Saturday with me in Fairfield for a job training (same gig as last summer), then back to Sacramento that evening for rehearsal and a concert for Sac Choral. I almost decided to sit this one out, and still sometimes think I'm stupid not to...but it's Carmina Burana and heavens, how I'm enjoying that piece.

At school there will be the annual testing, a staff meeting this week, and the end-of-year activities will start piling on. Before I know it, these six weeks will be coming to a close and I'll be submitting my grades. I plan to spend some time in June organizing the nooks and crannies of my classroom and office, and Lynn, the band teacher, will be moving into the office with me in June, too. I'm actually excited about this, as we get along well and I won't mind having the company in those rare times we'll both be in there at the same time.

I have a couple of guys actively pursuing meeting up with me on the online dating sphere and I'm just looking at my calendar and wishing I could tell them, "Just...wait 'til June, okay?" I'm actually a bit blase about dating right now, even about That Boy (yeah, still in my life. He just...will be for a while).

So, yes. This week, I rest. Tour took a lot out of me--I joked to Mom at one point that I felt rather like a sheep dog, constantly running in circles trying to keep tabs on my flock. It's exhausting. I trust the kids--they're great--but the rest of the world terrifies me.

I just sounded so much like my mom with that statement.

Tour was a lot of fun, but I was also in a constant state of alertness. I'd go on a ride, scream and laugh my head off, then get off it to immediately check my phone just in case a text had come through and a student needed me. Fortunately, the only texts I got while in Disneyland were questions about meeting times and places. But there was always that possibility, and the responsibility is exhausting.

This week I had my normal piano lesson schedule and a ton of make-ups, but now, for the next three days, I have nothing. Oh, I'll run on Sunday, and go to the gym and Sac Choral on Monday, but otherwise, it's all about relaxing, catching up on my reading, maybe watching a movie or two. I want to do a little bit of cooking so I have some ready-to-go meals during the week, but I enjoy that.

On Tuesday, I hit the ground running again, and it won't let up until May 31st. Blogging might be scarce, especially on weekdays.

Thing is, I can handle it. I'll be tired, and there will be moments of crankiness, but I know I can handle all that needs to be done. So bring it on.

No comments: