Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Drowning

Oh, don't worry, this isn't some dramatic post. I mean, yeah, I'm overwhelmed at work this week (if anyone hands me another paper I have to fill out, get approved, submit to thirteen different people, or whatever, I will scream), and I really love that we have a three-day weekend coming.

The  job is going very well, I'm just tired this week from a wee bit less sleep than I ought to get and a wee bit longer days than normal. It adds up to make me cranky.

But the "drowning" I refer to in the title of this post has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with my latest adventure. I've signed up for a Weight Loss/Healthy Lifestyle Challenge at work (cash prize!) and one of the daily goals is to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water. I currently weigh about 140, so 70 ounces it is.

Do you know how much water that is? It's a lot of water.

A lot.

No, seriously.

It's a lot.

It's enough water to keep me from crying in frustration and grabbing the nearest pack of M&Ms, and it's enough water to keep me in and out of the Ladies' to the point where my coworkers might start thinking I've got some bad habits. No, I just have a tiny bladder and 70 ounces of water to get through today.

So. Much. Water.

I've got about 10 pounds to lose, 12-15 if my body will let me, and eight weeks to do it. Eight weeks of all that water, making it a habit to basically swim every day. I count my tea, too, because I'm not giving up on tea.

I'm not terribly excited to weigh 140 (143, to be exact, on Monday), even though my Goal Weight (130) clothes still fit and I know I'm in excellent physical shape (hello, 30:43 5K last month). So I joined the challenge to kick my butt back into gear--the holidays were a pure sweet-eating frenzy, and I'm ready to get my good habits back in gear so I can feel good. I honestly feel worse when I'm eating like crap.

Yesterday, I mentioned the challenge to my friend Matt, who just grinned at me and said, "You're going to win."

Yup! Come hell or high...water.

No comments: