Wednesday, September 25, 2013

This End Up

Several weeks ago, one of the assistant principals at my school called me and asked if I'd help the admin out by covering a first period guitar class for three weeks. The regular teacher is out after having a knee replacement over the summer, and the sub who started the school year off could only be in there for 30 school days, because she doesn't have a music credential. As I have the appropriate credential, and the time, they hoped I would take it. And since I am a team player and not adverse to padding my savings account a little, I said, "Sure!"

I knew, going in, that it would be a crazy few weeks of long days, and I was right. It's not horrible--the class is being run by a college student who plays guitar far better than I do, and I get a bit of extra time to work on choir business. I then have a full 2nd period prep before my own class starts, and I've managed to get a lot done since I've been subbing.

That said, I have also had a lot of 12-hour days. Oy.

I look forward to making my own position full-time in the next couple of years (and I'm hoping it will be at lseat 67% next year--it's 33% now), mostly so I can phase out of teaching private music lessons. As much as I like my private students, it is exhausting to run a choir program by day, keep up with my fitness, and then teach lesson three nights a week. I'm managing, but I'm also tired.

Minor complaints aside, I'm actually really enjoying myself. The choir job is fantastic. Our first concert is next week and the kids are at that almost-ready-but-thank-goodness-we-have-a-week-to-iron-out-the-wrinkles point in the game. It's going to be a fun show, and I know they are excited to perform it.

The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of activity, and while I'm definitely exhausted, and passing out every night when I go to bed, I'm also feeling very satisfied. I've found a great work-life balance, so I don't feel like my work is infringing on my weekends, or my relaxing time. I get at least a couple of hours most evenings to decompress at home. Last week I met my friend Sarah at Chevy's for a margarita and some chips and salsa. I have upcoming plans to spend some time with Summer in Wine Country (this has become an annual thing for us, and we love Wine Country in Autumn!). This weekend, I'm going to a Raiders game (yeah, you read that right) with a small group of colleagues. I've never been to an NFL game, so I'm excited, even though my blood runs scarlet and gold. As for the start to the 49ers' season...it's only the third week, and that's all I have to say about that.

Still, I'll be glad for this subbing gig to end on Friday. My workouts have suffered a little bit for lack of time, and also lack of energy. It's hard to muster the energy for a good run when I feel a slight cold coming on and have a 2nd-degree burn on my thumb (healing nicely, still noticeably swollen, though) and am still sort of groggy from being out late for a Sac Choral rehearsal.

Speaking of SCSO, we're a few weeks into our 18th season (my 3rd) and I love being back. While the music for our first concert isn't as exciting to me as a few other concerts have been, I enjoy the community I belong to there, and the process of putting a concert together with such a fine organization. It's hugely rewarding to continue growing as a singer, and to take what I learn there back to my classroom. The best advice I ever received in my degree program was to have a musical activity that is just for me--not part of my job. Very, very true.

Next week will bring a madness all its own, as I prepare for my first concert and all that comes with it. I'm sure we'll all be jittery with excitement and nerves and fun. I get such a kick out of my kids; they really love choir.

So that's my life. Busy, busy, busy, but worth every hectic minute. I'd write more but I have to go teach more piano lessons, then head to a Choir Booster meeting, then come home and, you know, sleep. Sleep is good. ; )

My life is still Wild and Absolutely True. Count on it.

1 comment:

Erik Ammon said...

Hey Meg, I hope you can get it to 2/3 then full, too! That'd be awesome for you!!