Monday, September 30, 2013

Go! Go! Go...Raiders?

I never thought I'd live to see the day that I'd cheer for the Oakland Raiders, but it happened. It's a one-time thing. I am now officially back to my Niner-rooting ways and that is that. But when you find yourself at a Raiders game, and you have to cheer for someone...

Yesterday, a group of my colleagues attended the Raiders/Redskins game and it was a blast. It was my first live NFL game, and a lot of fun (even if I do look like a tomato today, oops). We went full-bore, leaving at 7:30 in the morning so we could spend several hours tailgating in the parking lot. Raiders fans, it turns out, take their tailgating seriously. Ribs, oysters, you name it. We kept it a bit simpler, with steak and sausages, but we still had quite a feast.

I learned yesterday that Raiders fans are not the thugs of their reputation, just really passionate about their team (and hey, I've been known to scream some pretty mean things at my TV when my Niners get wronged) and good-natured about rivalries. Every time a Redskins shirt walked through the crowd, a chorus of "Raaaai-derrrrrs! Raaaaai-derrrrrs!" would go up, but it was always good-natured. The 'Skins fan would laugh and keep walking.

All in all, it was a really fun day, and I'm glad I went. I got to know a few colleagues better, experience a game in real time, and get out of the house for a day. Good stuff.

All set up and ready to go.

Grillin'.

The stadium.


This guy was hilarious. There's a pic of me with him in my Instagram pics.

Some of our neighboring tailgaters. It's like a big party and everyone
is friends.

Our crew.

At my first glimpse of the field, I said out loud, "Oh, my God. This is so
cool..."



RGIII, or Richard Griffin III, the Redskins QB.

No comments: