Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Today's List of Adventures

What did I get up to today? Let's see...

  1. I started with a trip to the gym, where I kicked a little butt on the Stair Master, did some push-ups into T-stands on the BOSU (unstable surface), step-ups, jump-ups, and some uphill sprints on the treadmill. Then I showered wearing flip-flops (gym showers, ugh) and blow-dried my hair while managing to keep a towel wrapped around my body in a public locker room.
  2. Once at Petite School, I taped a bunch of "grass" cut out from construction paper to the front of the stage, then watched in awe as our school's art teacher created an Enchanted Forest out of butcher paper and tempura paint. Genius.
  3. I worked with a small group of my characters from the musical on some music stuff they needed brushing up on, then sent them off to lunch.
  4. After lunch, I watched in awe as the guy from the sound rental place set up my system for me, and as one of our school security/hall monitors helped him and then had fun playing with it. He's gone to school for sound engineering and worked some gigs before, and he's totally happy to help me with the show tomorrow. A HUGE weight off my shoulders.
  5. Oh, and he was willing to climb up a fifteen-foot ladder to fix the back curtain on the stage, which was flapping down and showing off a huge collection of crap the temple we rent space from has stored back there. I had to help him maneuver said ladder from a back corner and across the stage, which was a second workout for the day.
  6. Worked with my third and fourth grade classes briefly to reassure both teachers that their kids know the songs and can stay with the music, especially with me conducting them. 
  7. Then we ran our first dress rehearsal, with full costumes and sound set-up. It was a bit chaotic, and mistakes were made, but the kids got a sense of how it's going to sound, and they had fun, which is the most important part.
I finally made it home at about 6:30, where my awesome mom had dinner waiting and the electric kettle hot and ready for me to pour a cup of tea.

Tomorrow's the big day! Exciting, nerve-wracking, exhausting. Wild and Absolutely True.

Would I give you anything else?

1 comment:

Diane Fit to the Finish said...

I hope the show went off perfectly! Your students are lucky to have you.