Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Settle Down, Ms. Hyper!

So, the awesome news is that a couple of weeks ago, I started a new teaching gig. I've taken on a ton of private piano and voice students at a local place that offers music lessons, dance classes, karate and other martial arts, after school care, personal training, plyometrics...I think I got it all.

It's sort of a one-stop shopping for busy families. I have one student who has a dance class then walks over to the music room for her piano lesson in her leotard, tights and hoodie.

The bad news is that I'm now pretty much on the go six days a week, what with my gym workouts (three days a week), teaching at this new place (three days a week--including all day Saturday), Sac Choral (Monday nights), and Petite School (all day every Friday). It always takes me a week or two (or twelve) to settle into a new schedule so while I'm loving the work itself, and, obviously, the extra income it provides, I'm also sort of whirling around and trying to go in twelve directions at once.

Which is why, instead of being relaxed in bed right now (9:15 on Wednesday evening) with my book, getting ready for my 5:15 wake-up call to drive to Petite School to put some extra time in doing auditions for the Spring Musical, I'm sitting at my computer...blogging.

Don't worry, I'll knock it off with the constant parenthetical statements in a moment (you think it's exhausting reading it, try talking to me in person these days--my mind is in six different time zones) and go to bed.

The really, really, really awesome, great, fantastic, incredible news is that on Day Four of my new pill, my hormones seem to be regulating and I'm not MOODY anymore. I feel pretty even-keeled and the crying-over-nothing is going away. I don't feel like snapping at everyone, and actually found myself smiling and being really friendly to people at the post office today--normally a place that inspires me to snarl and bare my teeth at people.

I'm not on drugs, just a lower dose of estrogen.

To add to the load and prove that I really am crazy, I'm starting a new path that goes with one of my intentions for 2013--the one that says I ought to get certified as a personal trainer. My friend Matt (the Reasonable, and I'm not going to refer to him as "my trainer" anymore because he is simply my friend now--albeit a friend I ask fitness advice of and brag to when I do something awesome like leg-press 150 pounds, which I did today, thankyouverymuch) seems excited that I want to get certified and has recommended a couple of starting points for me before I go through the actual certification process.

So in addition to teaching, more teaching, choir, practicing music, working out, running, trying to be social, and running my not-so-profitable eBay and Etsy shops, I'm now reading a lofty tome called Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies. Right now it's pretty much all Greek to me, but Matt promises that as I start to understand it more, and as he shows me a little bit of how it all works in practice, I'll really get it. For now, it's about as enlightening as getting beaned on the head with a brick, but I know I'll get there in time.


Though if the author states one more time that, "This book is about movement," I may hunt him down and bean him on the head with my Kindle.

So there you have it. My body is tired but my brain is whirring. I think I'll cozy up in bed with my Kindle. Five minutes of Movement ought to have me snoozing in no time. ; )

No comments: