Thursday, January 24, 2013

Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation

When I came across the three words in the title of this post on my Kindle today, I was a bit...flummoxed.

See, I have a pretty decent vocabulary (I use words like flummoxed, for heaven's sake), but "proprioceptive" is a new one on me. I highlighted it and looked it up and it basically relates to stimuli that are within an organism. Right! Clear as...mud.

So that didn't really help my understanding of what PNF means, naturally. Time to turn to Google!

According to a couple of sources, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation sounds--to my untrained brain, anyway--like a very serious way of saying, "stretching." Of course, it's way more complicated than that, and just another question on the fast-growing list of questions I have for Matt, who recommended this book in the first place. He's going to be so sick of me approaching him at the gym with glassy eyes, my mouth slightly agape, and my Kindle dangling precariously from my fingertips.

Maybe I should make him brush up on secondary dominant chords or something. Even up the playing field a bit. ; )

Anyway, I may take a few days off from reading this "Movement" book because my brain is getting a bit fried and I have two full days of teaching ahead. And I want to finish the not-so-dry book I've been reading about China. And learn to use my new camera. And sleep. Yes, I definitely want to sleep.

No comments: