Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Huh?

The last few days have been so bloomin' hectic, I'm not even sure I know right from left anymore.

And...because I'm exhausted, let me just lay out how my week has gone so far in the most boring blog post I've ever written.

Monday:

I had the morning to "relax" and get a few computer-related bits of work done, but then, a little before noon, I was off and running. First I stopped at a sound equipment rental place in Sacramento to pick up all the equipment for the concert. Then it was to school to unload it all from my car (eighth graders come in handy for tasks like this) and set it up with only one near-breakdown. At 2:00, all the young'uns came in and we did a dress rehearsal. Then my orchestra and choir kids rehearsed. School let out at 3:20 and I found myself with some blessed quiet time. I went to the computer lab to input some grades, then back to the auditorium to play on my iPhone and eat the diner I'd brought with me. Finally, it was go time.

I got home at about 8:30, exhausted but euphoric.

Tuesday:

Tuesday didn't go as I thought it would in many ways.

I had to leave at 9:30 to get back to Sacramento (30 miles) to return the sound equipment that was stored in Rosie Pro. The rental place opens at 10, leaving me just enough time to unload the car and get back on Interstate 80 to get back to Rocklin for a 10:50 dental appointment.

Hm.

Imagine my dismay when the office was all locked up at 10:00 and no one was home. I was just leaving a semi-panicked voice mail (the equipment had to be returned by noon, so this was my only chance without getting charged for another day--on a school credit card, no less) when three employees came sauntering up at 10:15.

Argh.

That done, I raced back to Rocklin and got there just in time for my appointment. Where I found out I need two fillings. Because while I have excellent dental hygiene (I floss every night and brush twice a day), the long period between professional cleanings allowed for some decay. Damn.

The cleaning was supposed to take 45 minutes but it went longer because I had some stubborn build-up around my retainer (little-known, random Meg fact #1,302: I have a permanent retainer glued on the inside of the front six teeth on the bottom of my mouth. It's been there for 20 years now). And the hygienist was a total sweetheart but also a TALKER. And she'd allow me to respond, which just wastes so much time.

Anyway, when I left, I went to the gym, which had been the plan all along, and the reason I did all this stuff in workout gear all morning. I didn't feel like going, but I did, and I'm glad because 1) I leg-pressed 130 pounds like the awesome person I am and 2) I saw M. the Reasonable for the first time in over a week and found out a recent surgery he had (basically the same thing Mom had recently--messed up rotator cuff) went well and we traded a few stories. Poor guy is in pain still, and it's not easy being one-armed.

I decided to stop at Barnes & Noble on the way home to use a gift card a colleague gave me, so by the time I got home, at about 3:30, I had enough time to (finally) shower and wash my hair, dry my hair, get dressed, put on some makeup, and then go BACK to Sacramento for the staff Christmas party at a great pub. I'll just mention here that with all of this busyness...and the hour-and-a-half I spent at the dentist's office with my mouth wide open, I didn't eat anything between the hours of 7:00 and 3:00. I actually forgot to eat. Needless to say, the Frappuccino I bought at B&N was not only necessary for my blood sugar levels, but also for the safety of the general public.

The party was a lot of fun but needless to say, I started today off exhausted.

Today:

Today I walked (those leg presses left my legs tight) and then picked Mom up at her physical therapy so we could do some Christmas shopping. Then it was back home to finally sit at  my computer and take care of some eBay stuff and school stuff and random stuff and more stuff, stuff, stuff, before heading out AGAIN to teach some piano lessons this afternoon/evening.

It is now 9:00 and I am so ready for bed. Tomorrow I have a whole day to myself, so I'll go to the gym, then come home and bake up a storm. Cookies for my colleagues, quiche for the parents and I, and I want to make some homemade cranberry sauce.

Friday I teach all day (but get out early) and then it's Winter Break. :)

But for now...sleep.

No comments: