Friday, December 21, 2012

A Full Heart

At the risk of sounding corny, my heart is very full tonight.

It has been a long, hectic week, filled with preparations, a concert, a lot of driving. I helped Mom do some Christmas shopping, drove some more, taught some lessons. I spent most of yesterday on my feet, baking dozens of cookies, two batches of protein bars, two quiches, and making some cranberry sauce.

And to top it all off, I had to go to work today.

So yes, I am weary. My muscles ache (I've also been working out as I find the time), my brain is fuzzy, and my eyes are drooping. But it's a good tired--the kind of tired that comes from a satisfying week filled with accomplishment, productivity, cookies, and feeling that life is, indeed, very good.

I woke up this morning, shortly after five, and hit the ground running. There was breakfast to be made, and a much-needed shower to wake up. I had carefully laid out a special outfit for today's "Wild & Crazy Dress" day at Petite School, choosing to go as the Jolly Green Meg. I wore black jeans and a black thermal top as a base, with a green t-shirt, green scarf, green gloves, green striped socks (I rolled up the jeans to show those off) and green Chucks. Yes, there are pictures, and they will be posted tomorrow.

There was a special errand to be run on my way to work--I popped off the freeway and stopped by the gym just before 7:00. I had a box of homemade protein bars and a few cookies for Matt (the Reasonable), who is recovering from shoulder surgery. I had intended to leave the box at the front desk for him, but as luck would have it, he was in the trainer area, and not with a client. I dashed over to his desk and slid the box onto the table. His eyebrows went up, even as he smiled at me in greeting.

"Protein bars!" I chirped. As explained in the card I gave him, I know he's probably having a hard time cooking right now, so I figured some protein bars would make for easy snacks he can grab and munch on when he needs a boost.

For my efforts I was given a huge grin and a one-armed hug (the other arm, of course, being strapped to his side by a sling). I had to dash back out to get to work, and I left the gym with a grin of my own--it's always nice to do something nice for a friend--even just a little something.

 The drive into Sacramento wasn't too bad--just before I hit the junction to leave Interstate 80 to merge onto Interstate 5, I noticed the early mist of rain just starting--the beginning of a storm that is supposed to move through Northern California this weekend. The sun was still showing faintly in the east, however, so as I came out of the junction onto I-5, I glanced to my right and...WOW. A full-arc rainbow, with the faintest of shadow rainbows above it, curved over Sacramento. Even the DJs on the local radio station I had on were talking about it.

That rainbow only lasted maybe 10 minutes, but between that and my early-morning errand at the gym, the tone for my day was set.

School today was wild, crazy, sugar-filled. I didn't expect to get much done, so I showed "The Nutcracker" and called it an easy day.

Here's the thing--throughout the day, students and visiting parents alike approached me with cards and gifts. Some parents got together with other parents in their child's class to get gifts for the teachers who work with their kids. I honestly did not expect presents, though in my teaching career it's not out of the question to get candy, cards, little trinkets.

Today, I received gift cards--Nordstrom, Safeway, iTunes, La Bou--a purse, and fancy chocolates. From one set of adorable sisters, a Super Lotto ticket, which made me smile. As generous and appreciated as these gifts are, the best gift I received was notes from various parents thanking me for bringing the joy of music to their children. One parent wrote of my "kindness and patience" with my students.

The truth is, I've been scared, since my very first day at Petite School, that everyone would find me lacking in some way--that they'd all measure me with the same yardstick that I was measured with at my last job...and while I'm certainly not perfect, and I know there may be times in future where parents disagree with what I'm teaching or how I run my classroom (it's just how it goes in teaching, and it does help teachers continue to learn and grow), I feel as though I'm making my mark on the school, and being welcomed with enthusiasm.

Today was filled with happy, hyper kids who are excited for Christmas, for Winter Break. Kids who still believe in magic--when "Santa" and my principal had a little conversation over the school intercom, my third-graders nearly stampeded out of the room in the hopes of seeing Santa leave (his sleigh was double-parked, apparently). I scrambled for an excuse to keep them in the classroom. "I think he'll probably leave by magic, guys, so no one sees him."

There were disappointed groans as my kids dramatically trudged back to watch the movie. "But I want to see him!" a few exclaimed. It was all I could do not to laugh. Isn't it delightful that third grade students still believe--maybe just a little bit--in Santa Claus? In sleighs and flying reindeer and magic? And isn't it even better that a school can get on board with that and milk that belief for all its worth, rather than suppressing it by not allowing for some fun every now and again? Goodness knows the children at Petite School are bright, and the curriculum rigorous...and because of this, these fun days, with wild and crazy outfits, teachers in green Chucks and building gingerbread houses in the classroom, our kids thrive.

So yes, my heart is full tonight. It was a very, very good day.

1 comment:

Erik Ammon said...

That sounded like an awesome day!!! My 2nd graders still believe (well, the ones that celebrate do). It's fun to talk with them about it.