Friday, November 23, 2012

Run, Turkey, Run!

This morning, I hauled my turkey-stuffed self out of bed at 5:30, made some breakfast, and then set off at about 6:50 to get to the American River Trail in time for a race.

Yes, I'm that person now. The obnoxious runner-type who signs up for races the day after Thanksgiving. While everyone else is in a food coma or out fighting the crowds for Black Friday (another post about that subject coming later, and I promise you, I'm very judgey), I was gearing up to run 3.1 miles as fast as I can.

Glutton for punishment? Maybe, maybe.

The race wasn't very big--only about 40-45 people total, and only three people running the 5K (everyone else was doing the half marathon or full marathon). I laughed silently, thinking, "Well, I'll finally place!" as I walked to the starting line.

I did quite well, trying to pace myself yet also push a little. I know my first mile must have been pretty quick because shortly after the halfway point, I started feeling a little queasy--a sure sign that I'm pushing the speed.

I walked for about one minute in the whole course, and I'm very proud of that--pretty much I ran the whole thing, except that one minute, which I needed because of the queasiness.

In the end, I came home in 31:37, a new personal best time and cause for me to celebrate. I've worked very hard at this running stuff, and I've seen a lot of improvements this year. I bragged to a friend via text message and said, "Next goal: under 30 5K!" His response was a simple, but heartfelt, "You've got it!"

Indeed, I do!

Very bad iPhone pic of a sweaty lady at her car.

No comments: